Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elecrtricjenna Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2012, 04:23 PM
    Hunter ceiling fan with remote
    I have an older Hunter Ceiling fan with a remote. I tried to install a light kit which seemed pretty cut and dry because there was a white wire and a black/white striped wire coming out of the fan marked "For light kit." I attached these wires to the black and white wires on the light kit, but no light. I check the black/white striped wire and it is a live wire. I took the fan down and saw that the fan has two wires: white and black coming out of the top, but the ceiling has a two blue wires, a red wire, a yellow wire and two white wires. The fan was connected black to two blue and white to two white. I connected black to red instead and found that now I can turn fan on at the switch as well as the remote. Still no light. Please advise!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 04:32 PM
    Red frequently tells us this is a 3 way swwitch. Is there another switch in the same switch box or even at the pother end of this room? "two blue wires, a red wire, a yellow wire and two white wires" these are all incoming from the ceiling box? Should we assume your old Hunter remote has separate controls for both fan and for light?

Mar 7, 2012, 04:58 PM
    There are two switches on the wall, I presume for the fan and light. We just moved here and there is no light in this room. Just the ceiling fan without light kit & the two switches. Neither switch turns on/off any plug outlet. BOught a light kit and thought how easy, but ugh. Here is a pic of the remote:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hunter-UC7848T-wireless-remote-control-/170796573745?pt=Ceiling_Fan&hash=item27c444e431

Mar 7, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Yes, all these wires are coming from the ceiling above the fan. When I opened it up, it had the two blue wires wired together and wired to the black wire from the fan. The two white wires are wired together and wired to the white wire from the fan. I changed it to: black wire from fan to single red wire. Actually, that made it so that now you have to turn on the switch first before you can use the remote to turn on the fan. NO light though.

Mar 7, 2012, 08:28 PM
    The light kit wires were coming out of the remmote receiver, so I am to suspect that fan is not set up for light?

Mar 7, 2012, 09:43 PM
    Should we assume your old Hunter remote has separate controls for both fan and for light?
    Please answer before we go any further. Do you have a testor, multimeter or test light and the skills to safely test for power? They have asked us to not kill the customers so please answer this too.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 09:54 PM
    You have two switches. Are the switches side by side at the same location or are they at different locations.
    The wire colors you stated are not common. While the hot can be any color other than white or grey they are most often black or red. Are the wires in cable or are they in conduit. If they are in cables you will see the end of the cable sheathing in the ceiling box.

Please re-describe the wiring. Describe like this, "I have two cables or two conduits. Cable one has one blue and one white, cable two has a blue, a red, a yellow and a white."
    Are you sure that the blue is blue and not black and the yellow is yellow and not white.

Sounds like you power being fed to the ceiling then going on to the switch and then to some other location with two switch legs returning to the ceiling. Also sound like someone install a ceiling fan with a remote and no light. Since they did not have a light kit they did not connect the neutral for the light kit (in the fan canopy) or they ran the light kit wiring through the remote also.

Mar 8, 2012, 05:41 AM
    Yes, the remote has sepaarate controls for the fan and light. Yes, I have a testor and I know how to use it. I believe I have skills to be safe.

Mar 8, 2012, 05:50 AM
    When I opened up the ceiling box in another room with no light, just the box and a cover screwed over it, I found that the wires were red, yellow and white. One of each.
    When I took the one faceplate off the two side-by-side switches I saw blue wires, yellow wires and I believe black wires. I will have to look at it again to be sure.

Mar 8, 2012, 05:57 AM
    I do not have any conduits, just wires. I tried to take the fan apart, but it didn't want to budge open and if I pry it, it will be ruined. How can I access the internal wiring?

Mar 8, 2012, 05:58 AM
    I took the faceplate off the side-by-side switches in the room with the ceiling fan. =)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 06:41 AM
    Where are you located? Wire colors sound like United Kingdom. Please confirm my suspicions about how things are wired.

Confirm that you have one blue and one white wire in one cable and that you have one blue, one red, and one white in another cable.

At the switch you should have the white of the blue/red/yellow/white cable connected to a white of another cable. The blue of that cable should be connected to both switches and to another blue. The red should be connected to one switch and the yellow should be connected to the other switch.

The black with white stripe wire and the white wire for the light should pass up through the fan itself to the fan canopy. I suspect that presently these are connected to the remote. I also suspect that as presently wired, you could turn the light on with the remote. Try that also to confirm.

Mar 8, 2012, 07:08 AM
    I live in northern Illinois in house built in 1995. I removed the faceplate/switchcover that is over the two switches and I found three conduit going upwards.
    Conduit 1: Red wire, blue wire and white wire
    Conduit 2: Red and white only
    Conduit 3: Red wire, blue wire, yellow wire and white wire
    Switches are wired:
    Switch 1 blue wire attached to top and blue and yellow wires attached to the bottom
    Switch 2 blue wire attached to top and red and yellow wires attached to the bottom

Mar 8, 2012, 07:25 AM
    At this time, it is presently wired with the black fan wire attached to the red ceiling wire. I turn on switch 2 and now I can use remote to turn on fan, but no lights.

I took some pictures:
    http://www.imageno.com/1agu426rxd7ypic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/l2lvkyaolkp8pic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/r6p0wh98wairpic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/rw7prq3u8by7pic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/7nfasegr19l0pic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/06a4wx7jnb3lpic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/1pk3ki8afe2hpic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/moritz8gvg7cpic.html

Mar 8, 2012, 07:55 AM
    Could the ceiling fan remote only work with a candelabra light kit? Remote receiver model number is Hunter CP-9430R it also has the number 069008.

Mar 8, 2012, 10:20 AM
    Nope, light kit is a light kit, makes no difference what type of bulb. You do know both wall switches must be ON for your remote to work, right?

Mar 8, 2012, 10:33 AM
    I am sure I tried the light with both switches up, but I will try it again. Does it matter if I have changed the wires from black fan wire to two blue wires to black fan wire to single red wire? Should I change it back?Thank you.

Mar 8, 2012, 10:40 AM
    To be very honest this may require an electrician to come and confirm what all your wires control. Two switches in a box near a fan should/could mean a light switch and a fan switch. However, you have a few too many colors of wires for me to figure out, even with your great pics. With the fan completely removed fom the ceiling box you only need 4 wires to control both fan and light separately. Green or bare is ground, white is neutral and black is hot, other colors like red can also be hot. You need to spend time with a testor to identify what every wire coming into the ceiling boxes does and what controls it.

Mar 8, 2012, 11:14 AM
    It would be cheaper to buy a new fan with a light and start all over than call an electrian to sort it all out.

Mar 8, 2012, 11:54 AM
    Even if you buy a new fan someone has to figure out your wires. I am fairly certain you problem is wiring, not the fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter fan ceiling fan remote override wiring [ 0 Answers ]

Hunter ceiling fan with light; wall switch has one switch that goes to light and one switch that goes to fan. There is one white wire and one black wire coming from switches into fan receiver. There is a blue and white wire going from receiver to light. There are 4 wires going from receiver to fan,...

Hunter Remote Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hunter remote ceiling fan, it has started to come on by itself at different times of the day. No one is around the remote. Sometimes it happens when I am not at home. Any suggestions? Thanks:

Hunter ceiling fan with remote [ 2 Answers ]

I have a just installed a hunter fan with remote. It works well but sometimes the fan will come on all by it self, with out the switch being activated. Could this be interference from TV remote or what? LRH neb

Hunter ceiling fan remote [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, what's wrong with this thing? My ceiling fan, a Hunter, is not that old. The remote to turn the fan or light on didn't work yesterday... so today, I did the most logical thing and bought new 12V batteries. After installing the new battery, the light did work, but the fan doesn't work still. ...

Hunter ceiling fan w/ remote that I don't want to use [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: can anyone help?? I have a hunter ceiling fan that was installed with a remote control. My kids broke the remote! I can use the pull string to work the fan but for some reason I can't use it to work the light! Does anyone know why?? & how can I fix it so I just use the pull string to...

View more questions Search