Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elecrtricjenna Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 12:56 PM
    Can I wire several wires to the fan black wire? Can I wire fan black to ceiling red and both blues? What do I have to figure out? If I turn on switch 1 will only blue be live or blue & yellow will be live. I am not an electrician, just a careful person with some intelligence.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 03:00 PM
    "several wires to the fan black " which wires? Different color wire means different functions so lets not mix black with anything. We or and electrician really needs to locate and label every wire coming out of that ceiling box. Whites can all be joined, they are a common neutral, green or bare is ground so mix with nothing.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 03:01 PM
    In the ceiling box;
    The two white wires to which the white of the fan is attached is the neutral.
    The two blue wires to which the black of the fan is attached the unswitched hot.
    The red is a switched hot.
    The yellow is a switched hot.

The remote is a Hunter. I don't see a pull chain for the fan. Therefore the fan must be designed to be controlled from the remote only. The receiver being the electronics in the compartment between the fan and the light kit. That compartment is part of the original fan and not part of the light kit isn't it?

Just plugging the light kit in should have worked. The remote has a light button and should control the light. There is a pull chain for the light. You have pulled it to test haven't you? You need to pull the chain to make sure that the switch is on and then test the light function on the remote. The pull the chain again and test the light button on the remote again. The remote probably several settings for dimming. The pull chain switch may be simply an on/off switch or it may have as many as three light levels.

You said you tested and have voltage on the black/white strip to the Molex connector to the light kit. How did you do that test? I don't see a ground wire. For that matter I don't see a ground wire any where. If you tested between the black/white striped wire and the white you have a complete circuit to the connector. If you tested between the black/white striped and something else, what was it. If you have voltage between the black/white striped and something else but not between the black/white striped and the white neutral of the Molex connector, you have a neutral problem some where up the fan. Would have to be in the canopy. There are no electronic components in the canopy, right?

If you have a complete circuit to the Molex connector but the light does not work the problem is in the light kit.

Test for voltage between the black/white stripe and the white of the Molex connector with various settings of the light function button of the remote.

What does the red tag on the black/white striped wire and white wire say? Where do those wires go?

Mar 8, 2012, 05:07 PM
    Yes, the compartment is part of the fan and was on the fan to start with. There is no pull chain on the fan and does start and stop using the remote.
    I used a neon test lamp for line voltage like the one found here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_light
    I tried the light several ways, many times. I put one switch up and one switch down and hit the light button on the remote, I tried it the other way, I put both up and both switches down. Each time we pulled the chain. This is the second light kit I tried. The first light kit didn't work either, so I returned it and bought this one.
    There is a ground wire. I didn't mention it because it seemed benign. It is grounded.
    The red tag says "For Light Kit" I have it wired to the two wires that are coming from the light kit.
    Why would the fan originally be wired black fan wire to two blue ceiling wires and not to the yellow wire or red wire?
    I don't know how to test between the black/white striped wire and white wire. Sorry. I just used my testor shown above and put black to ground (a screw) and red to the black/white striped wire and the testor lit up. So you are saying to put the black end of the testor to the white wire and the red end of the wire to the black/white striped wire? I can do this, if this is the correct test.
    I don't see any electric components in the canopy, just wires.

Mar 8, 2012, 05:22 PM
    The wall switches do not come into play .
    Your wiring is connected to an unswitched source of power. Power is always on to the remote control receiver of the fan.

So you have voltage between the black/white stripe and the ground. It does not matter which test light lead connects to which point with AC voltage. Do the same test between the black/white stripe wire and the white neutral in the Molex connector.

Mar 8, 2012, 06:08 PM
    Attached Images

Mar 8, 2012, 06:51 PM
    Exact wording on red tag says, "Caution, do not remove wire nuts unless light kit is being installed."

Mar 8, 2012, 06:56 PM
    More pictures:
    http://www.imageno.com/nz105rhghv61pic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/p4uh5fpnacyspic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/r3enuopbuibvpic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/azhixgaao7wppic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/za624daykzr5pic.html
    http://www.imageno.com/gyrb9zjpy4uipic.html

Mar 8, 2012, 07:08 PM
    I get a light on for the fan white wire and black wire.

Mar 8, 2012, 07:21 PM
    I also have a light for the wire outs: I put one prong of my testor in the black/white striped remote wire attached to the light kit black wire connector and other prong in the white on white connector and I get a light.

Mar 8, 2012, 08:37 PM
    Attached Images

Mar 8, 2012, 09:10 PM
    I tested those wires when they were attached to the light kit wires and plugged into the ceiling fan. Yes, I tested the black and white wires and they tested positive or I mean my testor lit up.

Mar 8, 2012, 09:24 PM
    :

They appear to come out of the circuit board of the remote receiver. That means that you are getting current to the light.

Let's test the light kit itself.
    Find an old extension cord or and old lamp cord. Cut off the female end and connect it to the black and white of the light kit. Plug into an outlet. The light should light. Don't forget to pull the chain a couple of times.

OR

Straighten the ends of the wires from the light, twist the strands very tightly to make them stiff. Carefully stick into an outlet.

Mar 9, 2012, 04:54 AM
    Light kit fires up nice and bright, all three light bulbs come on.

Mar 9, 2012, 06:50 AM
    So we have a light kit that we know works. We know that we have power out of the light circuit of the remote controller. We don't know the voltage or the amperage however. Test lights like you are using typically light on as little as 24 volts. You could get a small multimeter (Home Depot or Lowe's about $15) and check the voltage you have between the black/white stripe and the white coming out of the controller. I don't know whether the dimming function reduces voltage or amperage to dim the lights. Probably voltage.

At this point, I believe that either you are not operating the remote properly or the controller is defective.

Do you have the instruction for operating the remote? I believe that the lights are on but the remote has them dimmed so low you can't see them burning. The way the dimming function of remotes work is often not as simple as you might think. With the last fan I installed, the light on/of and dimming of the remote was doing some strange things. Strange, until I read the operating instructions. If you don't have the instructions for the remote, or can't figure how it functions, I suggest that you contact Hunter.

I believe that Casablanca and Hunter are owned by the same company. Casablanca has a life time warranty. They even pay the shipping for repairs. Hunter may have same warranty.

A work around would be;

Get a length of small, black, stranded wire. Long enough to reach from the light kit to the ceiling, same size as the black wire of the light kit. Run that wire up through the fan and down rod to the ceiling. Connect it red or yellow in the ceiling and to black of the light kit. Cap the black/white striped wire out of the controller. Connect the white of the controller and the white of the light kit. One of the wall switches would then control the light. You could even swap out the existing wall switch for a dimmer.

That would probably be my preference because I like light switches to be on the wall where I expect them to be. I don't like using the remotes for lights. I want it to work like every other light switch in the house.

Mar 9, 2012, 08:54 AM
    This is great. I will try this asap. Thank you very much!
    I saw a Hunter remote manual online for a similar remote. I don't have the original instructions. The online manual says that you quickly press and release the light button to turn on the light. Then you can hold the button to dim the lights. The light should come on at the highest/brightest level. This has not worked. I tried to "reset" the remote. I changed the battery. I changed the dip switch arrangement. The fan continues to work and be controlled by the remote, but no light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter fan ceiling fan remote override wiring [ 0 Answers ]

Hunter ceiling fan with light; wall switch has one switch that goes to light and one switch that goes to fan. There is one white wire and one black wire coming from switches into fan receiver. There is a blue and white wire going from receiver to light. There are 4 wires going from receiver to fan,...

Hunter Remote Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hunter remote ceiling fan, it has started to come on by itself at different times of the day. No one is around the remote. Sometimes it happens when I am not at home. Any suggestions? Thanks:

Hunter ceiling fan with remote [ 2 Answers ]

I have a just installed a hunter fan with remote. It works well but sometimes the fan will come on all by it self, with out the switch being activated. Could this be interference from TV remote or what? LRH neb

Hunter ceiling fan remote [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, what's wrong with this thing? My ceiling fan, a Hunter, is not that old. The remote to turn the fan or light on didn't work yesterday... so today, I did the most logical thing and bought new 12V batteries. After installing the new battery, the light did work, but the fan doesn't work still. ...

Hunter ceiling fan w/ remote that I don't want to use [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: can anyone help?? I have a hunter ceiling fan that was installed with a remote control. My kids broke the remote! I can use the pull string to work the fan but for some reason I can't use it to work the light! Does anyone know why?? & how can I fix it so I just use the pull string to...

View more questions Search