Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superstar18 Posts: 380, Reputation: 5

Mar 7, 2012, 11:58 AM
    Can someone check to see if this is an observation essay?
    Riding a horse is such an amazing experience. My parents bought me a horse when I was thirteen. I named her Sunshine and she is a Paint horse. She was four years old when we got her and now she is ten years old. My parents got her off a farm and the owners didn't take good care of her. She was so emaciated when my parents got her and the poor thing was really nervous. She wouldn't want anyone to come near her at all, but once she became used to me and trusted me more then she began to open up. She is such a loyal companion and so darling. She now lives at a ranch I keep her at up in the foothills. I come and see her almost every day and if not the owners of the ranch take good care of her.
    The other day I decided to go see my horse at the ranch which is about fifty minutes away, so I thought since it was a pleasant day then I should go see her and ride her. I brought my dog with me because he loves to roam around and play with the horses. I drove through the rocky dirt path that leads to the ranch and when I got close to the ranch I saw my horse waiting for me to arrive. She is a smart horse and waits for me every morning even when I sometimes I don't go to the ranch. I parked my car, let my dog out, and I could hear my horse neighing. I opened the gate and gave her a big kiss on her for head. My dog ran passed me and he began to chase the other horses around, which the horses don't mind. I walked over to my horse's food and water bucket and they were empty, so I filled both of the buckets and waited till she was done to go ride her. There was some snow on the ground, so I had to be careful when riding, but she loves the snow. I put on her gear to ride, such as the reins, saddle, stirrups, pads, etc. When I was done getting everything on her we paced up the trails.
    I let her lead the way because she loves to travel to new places and be adventurous. We were climbing up a steep hill, so I grabbed the reins and leaned forward in the saddle. Once it became more level I kicked her twice and she started running. It is such an incredible feeling having the wind blowing back your hair, seeing the trees and nature pass by, the trust and bondage between you and the horse, and having the freedom to go where ever you want. She began to get tired so I let her walk some. We went through some pine trees and we stumbled upon a river. I let her rest while she drank some water. While she was drinking the water I just listened to the water flowing down the stream. When she was done we trotted across the water and headed up a dirt road. The dirt road was long and the end was just a house, so we turned back around. Although it was nice listening to the sounds of my horses hoofs hitting the ground. Once we got back down the dirt road we headed opposite of the river. I started petting the side of her and telling her she is a good girl. She is always so gentle and when I ride her, and I never have any problems. It was afternoon, so I turned her around and we galloped back to the ranch. It was a peaceful ride just listening to the sounds of nature and being in wide open spaces.
    I was having a rough week and it was wonderful riding her and it was so relaxing. For me riding my horse is peaceful and it relieves stress. When riding a horse all you have to worry about is your horse and the surroundings, you don't have to worry about anything else. I couldn't even imagine my life without Sunshine. Horses are such majestic creatures and if you put your time and care into them they will love you with all their heart.
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

Mar 7, 2012, 12:16 PM
    Superstar (@18),

Even as the basic rule for an observation essay is that it should be in present form, preferably, your composition has certain details or attributes, which make it one. Actaully, this type of essay permits the reader “view” the described experience with his own eyes. Here, the essay author becomes a film, which only grabbed the scenery for the reader, and he is the only one to analyze it. The author in this type of essay is nothing but a technical device to deliver the observations. The provided information is ordinarily focused on the main five senses of human beings. A good observation essay makes an imprint in the memory of the reader and becomes his own experience destroying the borderline between real and read experiences.

Moreover, an observation essay does not have a certain structure because cannot be written according to a standard essay scheme. This is because it more about senses than about arguments. Only certain recommendations can be given:

◦In order to create the atmosphere of the reader’s presence the paper must be written in the present tense.
    ◦The author is to mention as much details, as it is possible. It is for the details the imagination of the reader start to fully work making the essay a part of the reader’s memory.◦The main focus as it has been mentioned before should be made on the five basic senses: smell, touch, taste, hearing and sight. This is what makes the essay real in the mind of the reader.
    ◦The ability of the author to make good parallels and comparisons of the observed phenomenon is crucial for an observation essay.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 12:34 PM
    I agree with Kahani, but the essay needs some serious editing.

Mar 7, 2012, 12:35 PM
    So this is one?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 12:43 PM
    Is it in the present tense?

Does it include the five senses? Can the reader touch, smell, taste, hear, and see various objects in the essay?

Mar 7, 2012, 12:48 PM
    Well yeah it's in present tense and you can visualize it can't you?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 12:51 PM
    What do I hear or see or smell or taste or feel?

Mar 7, 2012, 01:20 PM
    Well you can see and hear things, so I suppose so.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 01:21 PM
    It has to be covering all five senses.

Do we smell the rich aroma of the horse? Do we hear the happy barking of the dog and the snorting of the horse? Can we smell the pine trees and the stall that needs mucking out? What can we taste? How does it feel to be riding a horse? What do we see?

The essay is in a mix of past and present tenses. It should be all present tense.

Mar 7, 2012, 05:56 PM
    OK thanks so if I fix it some will it then be a observation essay or no
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 06:45 PM
    Can you fix one paragraph to show you know what we mean?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

This is more of an observation with the best of intentions [ 10 Answers ]

OK , to ask a question in "Adult Sexuality" you first need to state your age, if you don't the answer advice people need to ask their age for liability purposes. OK I understand the liability and legal implications. So how does that when everyone here migrates to the "Child & Teen Health" category?...

View more questions Search