Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scootersmom46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 05:33 AM
    I'm going to loose everything.
    Hello. I am in a desperate financial situation. I am just trying every idea I can think of. Is there anyone or any organization who will loan me or give me $2,000.00 to pay my property tax, my electric bill, my cable bill, my car insurance, and put heating oil in my tank? I swear to God that I will in turn give the same money to someone else in my position as soon as I'm on my feet again.

I'm married, 48, with 3 kids and unemployed. My husband only makes $12.00 per hour --not enough. I haven't been able to find a job since quitting mine last July. I am an administrative assistant. I quit my job because my boss, the owner, was violent and abusive. The Rhode Island Dept. of Labor agreed with me and therefore granted me unemployment benefits; however, those benefits ended in early January.

Is there anyone or any organization who would be willing to do this? Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Have you tried the Salvation Army, your local St. Vincent De Paul, or churches in your area?

Salvation Army usually has funds set aside for a one-time only heating bill. St. Vincent De Paul can help with many things.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 08:31 AM
    a few notes...

if your property tax is sold you do have a period during which to buy it back. If I'm not mistaken, you will have a one year right of redemption, redeemed by paying the full amount owed plus 10% and then 1% more per month after 6 months. Not ideal, but you may have time to get some money together.

also, lose the cable. It is a luxury at this time you cannot afford. Period.

check with your utility company about electric shutoff in the winter. Many have a period during which delenquent bills cannot force them to cut of power in the winter. In my area, I think sometime around April or may is when old bills better get paid or power can be shut down. Again, you'll have late payment penalties, but the next few months should be lower for utilities, so maybe you can save a little extra to get caught up.

if you have more than one vehicle can you park one in the drive and take insurance off it while you use the other one? I know, not convenient, especially with three kids, but were talking about how to save whatever money you can.

in the meantime, if you do get a break from a charitable organization, you need to have a plan. You know your overhead is higher than you seem to be able to afford. Delaying the taxes and the utilities will only delay your position if you don't actively change it. If you cannot get work then you need to lower your variable expenses or decrease your fixed expenses.

something you need to do is not just talk about what you are doing with your money this month or check, but what will you need to do with it for the next 3 or 6 months? This kind of planning will let you know if your lifestyle is sustainable... as in can you stay in a house now or is that absolutely not possible long term, even with a loan?

I've got my entire year budgeted out for fixed and variable costs on a spreadsheet. I can tell you what months will be thin and what months I should have extra cash to set aside for thin months. I'm not saying you need to do this exactly, but planning ahead has made the difference between running out of money versus running my money. You are going to need a little more structure in your planning to get out and stay out of this financial hole.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

May 6, 2007, 04:54 PM
    I can suggest that you contact a local temporary service agency given your clerical skills. I just got through a similar nightmare and while working temp did not pay enough to pay everything, it certainly made a big dent and bought me some time. Many temp agencies have temp to permanent, or direct hire opportunities so you can try the job (and the people you will work for and with) for a while before you commit to working with them permanantly. I wish I could help you - I know the stress you feel. I'm stilling bailing out myself, however. You might consider debt consolidation where you have a non-profit debt agency negotiate with your creditors to consolidate your bills, and pay them on your behalf - you pay the agency one lump sum, which is based on your resources and allows you enough to live on (modestly).

Perhaps your husband can also look into higher paying jobs that he has not considered - apprenticing in tool and die work, or something of that nature, can be really good employment for men who like to work with their hands, for example and training is often provided. With proficiency and reliability, pay increases over time. If shops are union, the pay can be particularly good.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
    And if your unemployment is out, go to work at McDonalds, the local gas mart, baby sit in your home. There are a lot of ways to earn more money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About how many pounds can you loose [ 2 Answers ]

If your on a liquid diet how many pounds will you loose I heard that you can loose up to 17 pounds in a week is that true! My friend tried it and she lost 17 pounds!

Loose toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lose toilet and noticed that one of the floor bolts is out of the floor. Can this be put back in the floor without removing the toilet and having to replace the wax seal? It sits on a tile floor.Thanks

Loose skin? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: :pguys i want to ask.. i lost quite a lot of weight and along wit that is the loose skin issue..it looks weird. how do u suggest having firmer skin aside from exercise which is something i'm already doing.. help will be much appreciated..:)

Loose weigth [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need your suggestion. I was gave birth 5 months ago,. and it's a big problem for me to loose my weight. Plsss gave some effective suggestion on how I loose my weight. I can't use my previous clothes, I need to buy new one. Thanks

A/C wire loose (pic) [ 2 Answers ]

I have a picture of the furnace switch board here. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/laynevt/detail?.dir=/b5c9&.dnm=f165.jpg Had an air duct company cleaned duct yesterday and found out the guy made a mess. 3 wires in the furnace switch are loose. Gas furnace model is 58GS075-GA (CA?) RED and...

View more questions Search