Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Concerned65 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2012, 04:15 AM
    Texting Patient pictures with no name, HIPAA violation?
    1) If a nurse take a picture of a severely handicap patient and makes a comment in text form making fun of the baby's handicap, sends the message and the picture to a non-medical professional, Is that a HIPAA violation.

2) If a nurse takes a picture of a patient and texts the picture with the diagnosis of the baby including the child's face, is that a HIPAA violation.

3) If a nurse brings home Dr. Orders with patient information on the orders is that a HIPAA violation?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2012, 04:21 AM
    1) Probably not a HIPAA violation, but definitely a serious breach of professional ethics. Grounds for dismissal.

2) Yes, sharing diagnosis and treatment without authorization is a clear HIPAA violation.

3) Depends on whether the nurse was authorized to see the records, authorized to take them home to work on and whether the nurse allowed anyone not authorized to see them.

HIPAA protects a patient from having their medical diagnosis and treatment revealed by their medical practitioner to an unauthorized third party.

Can I ask why you are asking?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 6, 2012, 06:57 AM
    1, 2 and 3 are all HIPAA violations. A nurse is never to take a picture of a patient without expresses and written authorization. All documents with patient identifiers are never to leave the facility.

Mar 6, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Thank you J. I know this reads like a homework assignment but unfortunately this is a true situation involving one nurse. This was discovered during a divorce investigation and involves the same nurse. All three instances. The bad part is she is assistant nurse manager. She also is on the HIPAA compliance team at the hospital. Not sure if this will be pressed but was wanting to hear opinions from the forum from individuals with knowledge on this subject. Thank you for your input.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2012, 08:57 AM
    I may argue that taking home the info is a violation since no info is given out. Many facilities have info that travel out of the office.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2012, 09:02 AM
    "Not sure if this will be pressed " the only way this would be pressed is if it is reported to How To File a Complaint
    Expert

Mar 6, 2012, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned65 View Post
    Thank you J. I know this reads like a homework assignment but unfortunately this is a true situation involving one nurse. This was discovered during a divorce investigation and involves the same nurse. All three instances. The bad part is she is assistant nurse manager. She also is on the HIPAA compliance team at the hospital. Not sure if this will be pressed but was wanting to hear opinions from the forum from individuals with knowledge on this subject. Thank you for your input.
    If you work at a facility like mine, it might just be swept under the rug with a warning to that nurse. No facility wants to ruin the career of a nurse, and this could ruin it. We had a very similar situation where I work. A nurse was taking pictures of the babies in the nursery with her cell phone, etc... I won't get into the other details, and she was just issued a written and permanent warning in her file.

Mar 6, 2012, 04:24 PM
    This is at a large Hospital facility. To add to the mix she was having an affair with a co-worker. This is getting worse by the minute. I couldn't make this stuff up.The woman the affair waas with was her co-worker. The lady in question was an assistant nurse manager. She could approve bonuses, set schedules, and does EPR's for this employee. I tyhink it is past the point of no return. I hate it!
    Expert

Mar 6, 2012, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned65 View Post
    This is at a large Hospital facility. To add to the mix she was having an affair with a co-worker. This is getting worse by the minute. I couldn't make this stuff up.The woman the affair waas with was her co-worker. The lady in question was an assistant nurse manager. She could approve bonuses, set schedules, and does EPR's for this employee. I tyhink it is past the point of no return. I hate it!!
    OMG, I'm wondering if I work with you! :p

Mar 6, 2012, 04:45 PM
    If your in Texas! This is horrible! I am not the guilty party
    Expert

Mar 6, 2012, 04:51 PM
    Nope not in Texas, Tennessee actually. But all you can really do is take it to your CNO and leave it there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does hipaa affect me as a patient? [ 13 Answers ]

I need help I have an essay due and I don't know how would write it... please help

Is it a hipaa violation if I, the employee, called a patient for personal reasons? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a front desk receptionist for a dental office. A patient came in, was very friendly, flirty, etc. The next day I got his phone number and sent him a tex message. In the tex, I told him who I was, and that if he was SINGLE and interested then he could call me. We don't have an office policy...

Ownership of patient files and HIPAA law [ 2 Answers ]

I am an optician that set up an optical dispensary in an ophthalmologist’s office as a management company. Operations began prior to a management agreement contract being signed. When presented with the contract, changes had been made to it that were not in the original agreement. The result...

Hipaa when a nurse is the patient [ 1 Answers ]

I am a nurse and I recently had a serious illness that required emergency admittance and surgery. I was admitted to my previous hospital employer. I was on the surigal wing which was the appropriate place but after 2 days my old nurse manager showed up and said she just realized I was on the...

HIPAA - dicussion of patient over telephone [ 1 Answers ]

Well, it actually happened to me! I never understood how these things happen BUT - A friend of mine had surgery yesterday. I have his P/A as well as his living will. They wheeled him off to surgery at 12PM. I went in at 2:30, 3:30, 4:30, 5:30, 6:30 and was told he was still in surgery. At...

View more questions Search