Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leonardo23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2012, 03:38 PM
    If a variable annuity has a charity as beneficiary, is the gain on that annuity taxed
    Is the gain on a variable annuity, on which the beneficiary is a Charity, taxed; and, if so, does the charity pay that tax or is it paid from whatever remains of the owner's assets. If it is the latter, is there any simple way to avoid this problem?
    leonardo23
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 6, 2012, 12:40 PM
    Taxes on the gain of an annuity are deferred until such time as you take withdrawals. When you die the beneficiary inherits the annuity and must pay ordinary income tax on the amount of the gain. But since a charity is tax-exempt, it does not pay any tax on the gain.

Side note - variable annuities in general are NOT good investments, especially for estate planning purposes. Their only advantage is tax deferral, but in exchange: (a) you have to pay taxes at ordinary income rates, not capital gains rates, (b) if the annuity has a loss you can't take the loss on your taxes, (c) there is no step-up in cost basis for the heirs, and (d) most variable annuities have very high fees.

Mar 6, 2012, 01:02 PM
    Many thanks for your prompt response and for the information. It is much appreciated.

While I agree with your side note, it is too soon old and too late smart for me.

leonardo23

Mar 8, 2012, 09:38 AM
    [QUOTE=leonardo23;3047894]Many thanks for your prompt response and for the information. It is much appreciated.

While I agree with your side note, it is the old German quote, I believe, "too soon old and too late smart for me"

leonardo23

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Future Value: Annuity versus annuity due [ 2 Answers ]

What's the future value of a 7 percent, 5 year ordinary annuity that pays $300 each year? If this were annuity due, what would its future value Be?

Future Value: annuity versus annuity due [ 2 Answers ]

What's the future value of a 7 percent, 5 year ordinary annuity that pays $300.00 each year? If this were an annuity due, what would its future value be? I am using a financial calculator and is having problems arriving at the correct answer. I tried the examples in the book; however my answer...

Annuity rollover to another annuity or bank cd/ira? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an annuity with pacific life, it is a 7 year contract and will mature December 31 2009, it is in a fixed account making only 3% at this time the value is $86,600.00 and if I take it out now it will be $83,600.00. I am 62 and will not start taking rmd's until 2016 when I will be 70 1/2... my...

Trust is Beneficiary. Who pays the taxes on Annuity interest? [ 1 Answers ]

My Mother died in 2007 and had a simple Trust. She had a total of five annuities. Two went directly to my sister and I as 50/50 beneficiaries. The other three went into the trust to maintain the home/property until it sells. My sister and I were both issued 1099-I for the money we received from...

View more questions Search