Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juliehand Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2012, 01:02 PM
    Scandinavian 42 in. Fan with Light Fixture and Remote - problems with light
    We installed 2 of these ceiling fan/lights, one light stopped working and now the second one won't work either. Need to find a 'stepless' remote - any ideas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 5, 2012, 09:40 PM
    Is this your fan Scandinavian 42 in. Fan with Light Fixture and Remote | Canadian Tire always helps to tell us brand and model. I have never been in a Canadian Tire Store but apparently they sell this fan and may have access to parts. Usually when a remote fails the whole unit stops working, does you fan still work with the remote? Here is what they say about remotes not working correctly "The remote control unit is equipped with a 16 code combination to prevent possible interference from or to other remote units. The frequency switches on your receiver and transmitter have been preset at the factory. Please recheck to make sure the switches on the transmitter and receiver are set to the same position, and combination of settings will operate the fan as long as the transmitter and receiver are set to the same position. Should you require further assistance, you can contact Likewise and Home Collection at 1-866-788-7389."

Mar 6, 2012, 09:01 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks so much - yes, this is the unit. The remote actually still works, the fan works fine, but the light is intermittent, so I don't think it is the remote control unit. I read some interesting information on the CT website about people having very similar problems. I work with an electrician, and his suggestion (through past issues with ceiling fans and remotes) was to simply purchase a new remote for it, but that it needed to be 'stepless' - something do with the dimmer and the fan being on the same remote.

Mar 6, 2012, 09:12 AM
    I would not be considering a replacement for your situation. I would be testing for power coming off the receiver in the canopy. The receiver output is normally black-hot to fan, blue-hot to light, white-common neutral to boh fan and light, green is ground or earth. I am not sure if this fan has the same color wires in Canada but check for power with a meter or test light.

Mar 6, 2012, 11:15 AM
    Thanks so much - we'll check this out at home tonight - I'll let you know how we make out! Thanks for your help!
    retkchabot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 12:05 PM
    Do you happen to know where to purchase a replacement remote for this fan?

Thanks

Apr 8, 2012, 12:51 PM
    Same fan, if so see link in post #2
    retkchabot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2012, 10:55 AM
    Checked at Canadian Tire and they do not sell them. Thanks anyway.
    Frankathome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
    I am having a similar problem with the light. All of sudden the bulb doesn't light completely and only flickers. There is power going to the light. I tried changing the bulb but same problem. I chekced all the connections and it's all good. The fan works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install a remote to a hunter ceiling fan/light fixture with 4 black, 4 white, [ 4 Answers ]

Install a hunter remote to a hunter ceiling fan/light fixture

Hampton Bay Fan Light Remote Problems [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Redington II Pinnacle Fan with light kit. It was installed a few years ago, and the fan works fine, but the light has never worked with the remote. The store replaced the remote, but this one doesn't work either. We can turn the light on and off with the wall switch, but...

Replace chain pull from light on light/fan fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I pulled the chain out of its housing that controls only the light on my kitchen light/fan fixture. I went to a hardware store and the clerk sold me a little fixture with three wires, pink, white and black. When I took my fixture apart, I found my fixture has a two wire little round thing where...

Harbor Breze Fan w/remote & light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I just got the fan second hand and the remote does not turn the light completely off. The fan part works great. I did purchase another remote. Hope this will work. I also need a bulb that goes into that light and my Lowe's store could not cross it for me. Do you have instructions on how to...

Changed from fan to light fixture and now light will not shut off [ 1 Answers ]

Today I tried to replace a ceiling fan to a light fixture. I connected the black to black white to white and copper to ground. I have a red wire that I don't know what goes to. The light now will not turn off. Should the red wire be connected to something?

View more questions Search