Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JackOfFewTrades Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Mar 4, 2012, 06:44 PM
    When tiling floors and walls should you grout your floor before you tile your walls?
    If the grouts are different colors?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2012, 07:21 PM
    Do the walls first and let it cure before doing the floor. If your wall grout is cured you will have no trouble wiping off any excess floor grout that might get on the wall.
    JackOfFewTrades Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Mar 5, 2012, 06:01 AM
    That's great, but the question is should I gout the floor before I even start to stick tiles to the wall? Also is it necessary to back butter a 13 x 13 tile if it is going on the wall?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2012, 09:44 PM
    Always test a tile before placing another. Put on the thinset.as indicated and then press on a tile. Remove the tile and if the thinset looks good on the back, proceed. No need to backbutter if pattern looks good

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can 12x12 ceramic tile be used in bathrooms on walls and shower walls [ 3 Answers ]

can I install 12x12 ceramic floor tile on my bathroom walls and shower walls?

Using floor grout on walls [ 3 Answers ]

I hired a handyman to re-tile my vacation home bathroom floor and around the tub. I discovered that he used sanded floor grout on both the floor and walls. Does anyone know if this presents a problem? I don't know if I should I have him redo the wall tile now or when and if problems begin....

Setting Tile on Shower Floor and Walls [ 3 Answers ]

We are about to begin setting the tile in the shower. Which should we do first? The floor or the walls?

Bathroom - ceramic tile new walls or new floor first? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am getting ready to tile a bathroom that was built from scratch.. there was no bath there before it was built... I have the floor tiles, which will be set over half-inch cement board with thin set. The subfloor and cement board are already installed and ready for tile, which will be...

View more questions Search