Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siooh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2012, 05:04 PM
    Someone hit the car I am about to buy. Can I put it on my insurance?
    About a week before I was about to buy a car off my friend, someone hit it while it was parked, chipping off a lot of paint and offsetting the bumper a little bit. The seller already has the other guys insurance paying for the repairs, but the scheduled repair date is in a couple weeks. Would I still be able to add the title to my insurance now or do we need to wait until the car is repaired before switching titles?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 09:57 AM
    You can buy the car and add it to your insurance now if you want, but your insurance company is likely to require you to have the car inspected and pictures taken so they have proof of its condition. So you're going to have a problem if the repairs aren't done prior to having the inspection done. You're also leaving yourself open to potential disagreement with your friend if he and/or the pther guy's insurance don't come through to pay for the repair as you expect, or if the body shop doesn't fix it 100% right. I would advise waiting to buy the car until aftyer it's fixed. If you need the use of the car before that maybe you can work out a rental agreement with your friend, perhaps with whatever you pay being considered as down payment against the eventual purchase of the car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was hit by a car, I have no license and the insurance is under my mom. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, so last night I was driving home on the freeway and I was going 55 mph (construction zone, 2 lane road). I looked in my rear view and I see this car pass up two cars behind incredibly fast by the time driver passed them up the person had already lost control of the car and she rear ended...

Car got hit I don't have insurance or lincense? [ 4 Answers ]

My friend's parked car got hit by city snowplower but she don't have lincense or insurance. Will she get ticketed for that?

Someone hit my parked car do I file on their insurance [ 3 Answers ]

My car was parked at work. Someone hit my car while trying to enter the parking lot. The passenger side back light is broken and there are scratches and paint from the truck that hit my car on my car. I have had a police report completed. The report will be ready on Friday. I have notified my...

Someone hit my parked car but I got no license or covered by my insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this site. Last week my dads car was hit at my job . This girl backed up into my dads parked car . I borrowed it to go to work . I have no license or covered by insurance , but my dad has full coverage . People tell me it was parked so it doesn't matter if I got no insurance or...

Car collision:vehicle I hit has no insurance [ 3 Answers ]

The car that I hit was parked behind my vehicle.She wasn't parked directly but her left headlight was toward the center of my rear end . There is nearly no visible damage to my car but rather "scuff marks" on my tire. Her drivers side door at the front of her car has a small visible dent. I am...

View more questions Search