Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RobinMichalsen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2012, 12:54 PM
    Can I teach in HeadStart if I have an unclassified felony?
    When I was 20 I sold actual sugar to a police officer and told him it was LSD, 5 years later I was finally convicted for the crime. The actual charge was delivery of a false controlled substance. I was sentenced 6 months jail time and that was it. I am 31 years old now, it has been a little over 5 years that my sentence was completed. I have not been in any trouble since but I really want to work for the HeadStart program (preschool) kids. Is this possible?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2012, 03:47 PM
    You might find it helpful to contact the Head Start in your area and speak to them directly regarding what requirements they have. For some places, any felony record will prohibit employment, others may take into account the specifics, and outcome, of the charges.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 04:43 PM
    I find that different states or even areas of a state have different employment requiremetnts

On several of their applications I find the following

Have you ever pled “guilty” or “no contest” to or been convicted of a crime? Answering “yes” to this question does not
    Constitute an automatic bar to employment. Factors such as date of the offense, seriousness and nature of the violation,
    Rehabilitation and position applied for will be taken into account.

So it apears they will take into consideration how long it has been and what the crime was.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Head Start is a federal program and all that I know of require a teachers certificate. Do you have a cert? You can't get one in Illinois.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I teach with a felony? [ 5 Answers ]

I was charged with felony possession of a very small amount of cocaine (wasn't mine, but that's a mute point) and got a conviction. Is there anywhere in the U.S. or Canada I can still teach? (I taught middle school for 6 years prior to the arrest. ) :o

Will Having a Dismissed Felony Affect My Ability to Teach? [ 20 Answers ]

Just like the title says guys. My question is that, I am an aspiring teacher, currently in my junior year of college about to start taking all of the field experience (working with children) courses. All of these courses require a clear criminal history in order to participate (for obvious...

If you have a felony can you still teach [ 2 Answers ]

I was convicted with a felony. Can I still teach in Colorado?

Will I ever be able to Teach with a Felony? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was charged with attempted second degree aggravated battery on my husband. I am on 2 years probation with no jail time. I am a graduate from LSUS and I am planning on returning back to school to get my masters in Education, but I have a felony. I have talked to some teachers and they...

View more questions Search