Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mfaz2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2012, 11:01 AM
    No hot water (not freezing, but not hot) in shower, but sinks are hot
    In both of our bathrooms our showers, and in the master bathroom the whirlpool tub water does not get hot. The sinks in the room are fine. Everything worked OK until we had replaced the hot water heater. I checked to make sure the hot water line was turned back on and it was, and the pipe from the hot water heater is hot.

Any thoughts what it could be. Is it anything we can fix ourself?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 4, 2012, 07:11 PM
    HI Mfaz

My guess here would be that the old water heater was set at a higher temperature and now that the new heater has been installed and set to a proper temperature the TEMPERATURE LIMITING DEVICE at the shower valves need to be readjusted to a slightly higher temperature. The whirlpool faucet could also have a temperature limiting device somewhere near the access panel, but let's try something before worrying about that, OK?

Here, go to any local hardware store and pick up a simple kitchen thermometer... range between say 0 and 212F (boiling point)... something like that... costs $6.00.

Then run the hot water at the sinks... let it run for a minute and then take a temperature reading. Now take a temp. reading at all the showers full on hot. What are the temperatures?

Max. hot water to any fixture in your home should NOT exceed 125F. Maximum temperature at any shower valve, at least in my state, is 112-115F.

Let me know what you find.

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2012, 07:17 PM
    Mark may be correct but I am also thinking this could be debris knocked loose from the new heater install. Try pulling the hot stems or cartrdiges and cleaning them out. Also flush the valve body with the cartridge removed.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 4, 2012, 07:20 PM
    With the whirlpool added into the shower valve issues, I'd start where you suggest, Bob (ballengerb1)... can't hurt and doesn't require going out to the hardware store!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suddenly, no hot water in Shower, but plenty in sinks [ 1 Answers ]

Eventually the hot water has come on the last 3 days, but it takes 10 minute. I'm assuming it will eventually not come on at all. Any thoughts? I'm a single mom, and do not have someone helping me, and I HATE to call repairmen in, because it scares the heck out of me to have strangers in my...

No hot water in Shower BUT sinks are fine [ 4 Answers ]

I read on here to replace the cartridge, did that and nothing changed. It's a Moen. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have hot water in all sinks and one bathroom, but not in the shower? [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently moved into a flat. At first the shower was luke warm, so I tried to turn the value to make it hotter, but it didn't seem to make a difference even though the pipe was very hot, now the pipe is very cold and there is no hot waer atall in the shower but there is in the sink in the...

No hot water to bath or shower, but I get hot water to bathroom and kitchen sinks. [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting no hot water to my shower or bath but I get hot water in my sinks. I have a combi boiler which got installed about a year ago with all new pipe work. The bathroom got installed about 17 months ago with a mixer shower. I have had no problems until recently. I have seen comments on...

Lukewarm water in shower and tub, hot in sinks [ 4 Answers ]

OK... this is a weird issue. I have a dedicated recirc line with a pump and a timer that I only run an hour a day or so in the morning, due to energy costs of heating the water. The problem I am having is that when I am not recirculating the water, the master shower and master tub only get...

View more questions Search