Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aido1408 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2012, 09:17 AM
    Fireplace cracks
    I have a fireplace that is 20 years old with cracks now in back and side walls. Please advise how to repair and what kind of cost is involved?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2012, 10:14 AM
    Do the cracks follow the mortar joints or do they go right through the bricks at midpoint?
    aido1408 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2012, 12:59 PM
    It is a solid concrete fireback not brick work
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 4, 2012, 01:07 PM
    You might try calling a local chimney sweep and have them take a look at it and advise from there. Depending on the types of cracks that are there there are several different ways to repair them. Most is going to depend on access and how clean the crack is.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2012, 02:31 PM
    Concrete like a poured wall or is it a cement insert plate? Concrete is not a good liner for a fire place. All concrete cracks but the extreme heat of a fire will crack it even more, it should be lined with fire brick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracks where walls meet celing, cracks across the entire corners of the bath tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My house is build in 2008, and it is since last week we have started noticing hair line cracks in some of the rooms in the upper story. One of the room has cracks across the entire length of the room where walls meet celing, and the bathroom has also started appearing to have cracks at the...

Can an owner repair cracks in a prefab fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have a crack in my prefab fireplace. It was repair by a previous owner. A chimney sweeper said a new panel should be installed. A contractor told me to get some furance cement and go over the area myself. Who's right? I usually use the fireplace 3 0r 4 times a year and have never had a...

Foundation cracks [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently removed all carpet from my home and I am preparing to install ceramic tile on my concrete slab. In removing my carpet I have found several hairline cracks, I have read this is normal but I am concerned with the location of these cracks. One crack is in the center of my house that...

Repairing or sealing cracks in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Need suggestions on how to seal 1/8 to 1/4 inch cracks in the bottom of a fireplace.

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

View more questions Search