Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cwp43 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Mar 3, 2012, 04:06 PM
    Is a court order needed for a lodger residing in a owner-occupied dwelling?
    Is a court order needed for a lodger residing in a owner occupied dwelling?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2012, 04:18 PM
    ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. I know in CA its not as long as the tenant qualifies as a lodger. But other areas do not separate lodgers from tenants.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 3, 2012, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwp43 View Post
    Is a court order needed for a lodger residing in a owner occupied dwelling?
    You are asking about evicting the lodger?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2012, 04:33 PM
    To allow them to live there there is no court order needed. You did not ask a question

Mar 3, 2012, 04:35 PM
    Yes trying to evict a lodger in New York state

Mar 3, 2012, 04:38 PM
    NY State doesn't classify a lodger separately. So yes you have to evict as you would any tenant. Contact your local Housing court for the process.

For future reference, it pays to reread your question before submitting to make sure its clear and has enough info.

Mar 3, 2012, 04:42 PM
    I was told by a legal aide lawyer no court order needed to evict a lodger residing in owner occupied dwelling.is this true?I live in New York state

Mar 3, 2012, 04:48 PM
    Is a court order needed to evict an excluded occupier? New york state?
    Expert

Mar 3, 2012, 05:03 PM
    I was told by a legal aide lawyer no court order needed to evict a lodger residing in owner occupied dwelling.is this true?i live in new york state
    Eviction is a several-step process.

1. In most if not all places (and New York is no different as far as I know), you first must give the person written notice, telling him or her to get out or be sued. Normally this is 30 days.
    2. Then, if they fail to do so, you bring them to court.

The first step in eviction of course doesn't require a court order. In the second step you would be applying for a court order. And you can, in any case, always ask them to leave. There is no law against that. If they do leave, problem solved.

The question would be whether the "lodger" qualifies as a tenant under NY law, thus requiring the second step. If no, you would be entitled to "self-help eviction", by locking them out, cutting off the power, etc. But be careful, because if you are wrong, and the wrongful ouster provisions of the landlord-tenant law in your jurisdiction apply, you could be sued and have a judgment entered against you.

If the legal aid attorney advised you that you don't need to go to court, I would be comfortable with that. But be sure you get the opinion in writing.

Mar 3, 2012, 05:30 PM
    Excluded Occupiers
    You are likely to be an excluded occupier if you share living accommodation with
    Your landlord. If you are an excluded occupier your landlord can evict you
    Without having to go to court.is this true for all states?ny?I rent a room to a man in my 1 bedroom mobile home,we share a bathroom
    Expert

Mar 3, 2012, 05:47 PM
    Excluded Occupiers
    You are likely to be an excluded occupier if you share living accommodation with
    your landlord. If you are an excluded occupier your landlord can evict you
    without having to go to court.is this true for all states?ny?i rent a room to a man in my 1 bedroom mobile home,we share a bathroom
    I don't know were you are getting this from. A link would be helpful. But the only mention of the phrase "Excluded Occupiers" that I can find seems to be in the U.K.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2012, 06:05 PM
    I'm in NY - if he's your boyfriend and you share a bed (let alone a bathroom) he needs to be evicted.

Mar 3, 2012, 06:27 PM
    Legal authority is contained in section 3a(2) of the protection act 1977.they are described in the act as excluded tenancies and licenses.sub sections (2) and (3) are the sections which provide for lodgers to be excluded.when the owner has given the lodger proper notice and the time has expired,the lodger has no further right to remain in the owners house an may be removed as a trespasser
    Expert

Mar 3, 2012, 06:55 PM
    Legal authority is contained in section 3a(2) of the protection act 1977.they are described in the act as excluded tenancies and licenses.sub sections (2) and (3) are the sections which provide for lodgers to be excluded.when the owner has given the lodger proper notice and the time has expired,the lodger has no further right to remain in the owners house an may be removed as a trespasser
    Again, you are citing British law. You told us that you are in New York. New York has not been subject to British law since the American Revolution. The statute you are quoting doesn't apply.

Mar 11, 2012, 06:48 PM
    Quoting New York Code, RPP ยง 228. Termination of tenancies at will
    Or by sufferance, by notice.
    A tenancy at will or by sufferance, however created, may be terminated by a
    Written notice of not less than thirty days given in behalf of the landlord, to
    The tenant, requiring him to remove from the premises; which notice must be
    Served, either by delivering to the tenant or to a person of suitable age and
    Discretion, residing upon the premises, or if neither the tenant nor such a person
    Can be found, by affixing it upon a conspicuous part of the premises, where it may
    Be conveniently read. At the expiration of thirty days after the service of such
    Notice, the landlord may re-enter, maintain an action to recover possession, or
    Proceed, in the manner prescribed by law, to remove the tenant, without further
    Or other notice to quit.
    Sponsored Links
    Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 06:52 PM
    Correct, give notice and if they don't move you file for eviction in court ( other legal action)
    Also in many cities in NY there are additional laws restricting eviction more.

Mar 11, 2012, 08:10 PM
    Quoting Evicting a Lodger
    However, in the case of a single lodger in a house where the owner lives and there
    Are no other lodgers, the owner can evict the lodger without using formal eviction
    Proceedings. The owner can give the lodger written notice that the lodger cannot
    Continue to use the room. The length of the notice must be the same as the
    Amount of time between rent payments (for example, 30 days if the rent is paid
    Monthly, or 7 days if the rent is paid weekly). When the owner has given the
    Lodger proper notice and the time has expired, the lodger has no further right to
    Remain in the owner's house and may be removed as a trespasser.
    Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 08:36 PM
    Quoting Evicting a Lodger
    However, in the case of a single lodger in a house where the owner lives and there
    are no other lodgers, the owner can evict the lodger without using formal eviction
    proceedings. The owner can give the lodger written notice that the lodger cannot
    continue to use the room. The length of the notice must be the same as the
    amount of time between rent payments (for example, 30 days if the rent is paid
    monthly, or 7 days if the rent is paid weekly). When the owner has given the
    lodger proper notice and the time has expired, the lodger has no further right to
    remain in the owner's house and may be removed as a trespasser.
    Section 228, which you quoted in post # 15, appears to be correct. But where did you get the language you are quoting in posts 17 & 18? I don't see it in the NY landord/tenant act.

{Mod note: #18 was removed as a duplicate-<>}

Mar 18, 2012, 10:24 AM
    If you want our help you need to give us a link to what you post so we can check it. As noted there does not appear to be anything in NYS law about lodgers.
    Expert

Mar 18, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Yes. It appears they are taking some wording and then trying to apply other law not in record for it. The truth is, from actual practice and court procedure, in NY you have to evict another person who is living in the house, boyfriend, son, daughter, does not matter, you can not legally do anything, if they do not leave, without an eviction. The except to this is motels where they rent by the night or week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owner-occupied Condo with a roommate NJ [ 8 Answers ]

Hey Everyone :) I am in a lot of stress because of my living situation. I let a woman who was homeless & unemployed and sleeping in her car(because she was evicted from her last place due to needed construction work in the house) into my condo (Oct 27th). She is sharing a 2BR and 2 Bathroom...

Owner occupied foreclosure in FLorida [ 2 Answers ]

I filed bankruptcy and my property was included in the BK.. THe bank has notiified me they have foreclosed on my property. I am an owner occupied. What is the timeline and serving notice proceedures to evict me and my bleongings

Requirement for Owner Occupied Condominium (CA) [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased a duplex and are converting it to a 2-unit condominium. The local Planning Commission and City Council have already approved the rezoning. We are about ready to submit the CC&R document along with the tentative site map. We want to include a provision that both units must be owner...

Court order info needed [ 2 Answers ]

Im On Intence Probation If A Judge Court Ordered Curtisy Supervision In Another County But A Probation Officer In The County Where I Was Sentenced Just Hit Me With 6 Violations Can She Do That Can She Violate A Court Order

View more questions Search