Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tracylcrosby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2012, 02:24 PM
    Examples for writing to a dying friend and family?
    I just found out my aunt is dying, they say less than a month. I was adopted as a baby and she's an aunt that I now have as part of finding new family; It's been about 15 years since then. Finding my birth mother and my new family is one of the best things I've ever done, it's been great. Everyone has been so accepting and have always made me feel so welcome and part of the family. This aunt that's dying has become a very special part of my life, we've done a lot together in the short 15 years since we've met. I will never be able to see her again so unfortunately this is going to be my goodbye letter to her. We spent a day together a couple weeks before getting the news of her illness, it was a wonderful day, we had a great time and now one I will never forget and always be thankful for. She's being so strong and handling this so well; making her everyday time left special, spending time with her grand kids and love ones in her life. Being a grandma has been one of the greatest gifts in her life, always being sure to spend special time with each and everyone.
    I'm not real good at putting my feelings on paper so any ideas or examples would be greatly appreciated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2012, 02:54 PM
    Before you write her, does she want to receive such a letter?

If she does I would write from the heart, telling her what you've told us, giving specific examples. "I'll never forget the time ..." Things like, "I will share my memories of you with my children (or friends) and I know eventually I will smile when I remember ..."

From the heart is the secret.
    awesomagic Posts: 69, Reputation: 46

Mar 5, 2012, 03:11 PM
    I think you just wrote it!
    tracylcrosby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2012, 04:27 PM
    Yes, I've been told it would be great for me to write a letter, it would mean a lot to her. Thanks for your help; I guess you're right, when I read what I wrote for myself, it already has a lot of what I'm looking for!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2012, 12:42 PM
    When my husband died the most important letters to me were very exact - a specific time people would remember, an event, something like that brought him very much back to life.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Like Judy said, be specific. When my dad died, it was comforting when people remembered his love for the Chicago Cubs, his preference for sweater vests (pre-Rick Santorum), the jokes he repeated from the newest Reader's Digest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do for friend whose husband is dying [ 1 Answers ]

My friends husband is dying at home. Hospice has been called in. He probably has a week. Do you think it would be appropriate to go to their home even though I haven't seen them in a year?

Dying husband and his family doesn't seem to care unless its convenient! [ 27 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first time posting here. I am looking for some opinions from people other than family members regarding this situation: My husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer 3 years ago and was not given long to live. At that time, his family called, sent cards but nothing more than...

Writing a Letter to a Dying Person [ 8 Answers ]

I need to write a letter to a friend who has a terminal illness. What can I say in such a situation?

Maple-family trees dying? [ 1 Answers ]

It is almost July and all of the deciduous trees in my area have all of their leaves. These maple-family trees (maple leaves, but several "trunks"--actually pretty ugly without their leaves) have hardly any leaves, but are not entirely without leaves. I would have to go out and purchase a...

View more questions Search