Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnnyclarke Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2012, 11:57 AM
    Can I sue for defamation?
    The health and safety manager where I work said in front of me to a number of people in the works canteen that I can get a claim off machines which have nothing wrong with them, suggesting the 3 compensation claims I've had over the past 13 years were false and now people write things about me in the toilet and make remarks to me about being a liar and fraud.m
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2012, 12:10 PM
    "Suggesting" something is not slandering you. You have to be harmed monetarily in order to collect if it IS slander (which this is not). That means loss of employment, inability to obtain other employment.

Also - people are entitled to their opinions. This sounds more like a joking remark, however inappropriate, than anything else.

Mar 3, 2012, 01:28 PM
    Im from the uk so big difference than from the US, I guess suggesting was the wrong word! If a MANAGER of health and safety puts into peoples minds a false accusation about me that significantly alters peoples opinion and behaviour towards me then that's defamation?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2012, 01:33 PM
    Actually not that big a difference.But, if you think you have a case, consult a solicitor. I think you will find you get the same answers.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyclarke View Post
    Im from the uk so big difference than from the US, i guess suggesting was the wrong word!! If a MANAGER of health and safety puts into peoples minds a false accusation about me that significantly alters peoples opinion and behaviour towards me then thats defamation?

I don't see the difference. An Attorney might.

Putting it in someone's mind and making an accusation are two different things.

If you do decide to sue for defamation, please keep us posted.

Mar 3, 2012, 02:18 PM
    I have allowed to attend hospital via aent fully explained everything because to be honest I wasn't sure anybody would answer but you have and thank you very much, before the comment made by my health and safety manager that I have old you about there's been numerous remarks made by him, for example when anybody in the factory has an accident in the factory he says to me in front of people unlucky johnny you missed that one ans of similar meaning, also I had an accident at work where I was unconscious in the toilet after an accident and when I was being treated by the first aid person the health and safety manager stormed in and shouted at me your taking th piss your taking the piss, the first aider advised him that I need an ambulance to take me to hospital as I've had an head injury and I felt sick and tired and the hea ah and safety manager ignored him and insisted I carried out a drug urine test and alcohol breath test and filled forms etc which lasted an hour and finally I was

Mar 3, 2012, 02:24 PM
    Well you do need to file a complaint with your human resources department. I'm not sure what laws the UK has about creating a hostile work environment, but I think you have more of a case for that then defamation.

Mar 3, 2012, 02:26 PM
    Aowed to be taken to hospital by the first aider who was disgusted by the health and safety managers behaviour, I returned home and on doctors orders I started 24 hours bed rest due my head injury, I was contacted afetr 1 hour of returning home by the h and safety manager and told I I didn't return to work I would be in breech of company policy so I returened to the factory to sign forms, so based on the remark he made a few days ago tells me that the health and safety manager never took my accident seriously and ignored first aid advice due to the fact he believes/believed my accident never happened and basically let his personal unjustified opinion of me clous his professional 1! Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 3, 2012, 02:32 PM
    His comments where most likely prompted by "the 3 compensation claims I've had over the past 13 years"
    Did you use one of those "no win no fee" firms for these claims or did you sue the company yourself.

Either way you MUST report this to HR soonest..
    Also bear in mind how the plants grape vine operates, concerning a defamation claim.
    If it is already considered common knowledge that where there's an "accident" you would be nearby or involved, then you have no cause of action.

Mar 3, 2012, 02:36 PM
    It was no win no fee but I've never had my honesty questiond they were all genuine acciidents and liability admittd by company and their insurance. No grounds for accusing me of false claiming and making 60 or more people I work with think I'm a liar and making bogus claims for injury
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2012, 02:45 PM
    With this additional info, yes, I would contact Human Resources and/or an Attorney. At BEST this person's conduct is rude and out of line.

Mar 3, 2012, 02:52 PM
    I contacted thr HR manager regarding the accident I had and the way the health and safety manager misstreated me, I did this 4 times in 6 months and it was brushed under the carpet, then I reportred the comment he made about me making false claims and for days I was brushed off again so finally I went and seen a person higher up in the company and the health and safety manager has a discaplinary on Monday

Mar 3, 2012, 04:10 PM
    I really think your best course is HR. Of course there may be some retaliation by the manager, so you need to be careful and document everything.

Also, in the future can you proofread your posts a little better. Some of your posts have had portions that were unintelligible.

Mar 3, 2012, 04:31 PM
    Sorry some how put text from 1 statement onto the start of another, guess this isn't a contest of context but an ask for help on a personal matter, I don't prettend to be something I long to be just come here to talk down or correct people! If I can help anyone in my lifetime I've served my purpose, no judjing or thinking I can teach you a lesson in law or anything just an honest answer to my problem, thanks :)

Mar 4, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Good luck and keep us posted.

And please, if there are questions from others you think you can help with, please feel free to answer.

Mar 4, 2012, 09:01 AM
    Ok, thanks very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Defamation of character -- how much can one sue for? [ 9 Answers ]

My ex and I have a house in another country and we are trying to sell it. My father is taking care of the affairs and he placed the house in a real estate agency. There is a potential buyer and the real estate needs a document from my ex in order to have the sale finalized. My ex is refusing to...

Can I sue for defamation of character? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a client who I do the cold calling for her from home who pays me $200.00 for every 5 appointments I set for her webhosting company. Her web-hosting company also hosts my website that has all the information about my services. I was slow on getting the appointments due to being busy working...

Can I sue someone for defamation of character? [ 2 Answers ]

My last boss put quit on my record of employment which he should have put other not returning because sold business so there for I had been dinied emplyment emsurance I had to appeal their decision and prove that he lied wich I did prove it and won appeal because of all this I have been unemployed...

How can you sue for defamation of character? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been dealing with several employees coming up to me asking questions about a certain female employee.the upper mgt. Put out a memo stating how long me and her were in the storage room together. Well since then all types of employees have been talking. It seems as if the mgt. Have spread a...

Can I Sue for Defamation? [ 4 Answers ]

The local Sherrif's Office has my jail booking press release posted on the internet. To this day, I believe I was falsely accused of the crime, and publishing that event is damaging to my reputation. Can I sue the state for defamation(libel) especially in the case where I may have to repeat this...

View more questions Search