Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krawphish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2012, 01:01 PM
    I have a early 90's Kohler shower valve and rounded out the cold stem valve seat.
    Should I drill then retap the threads? Thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2012, 01:53 PM
    Most seats are replaceable. With the stem out, look at the seat. If it has a square or hex opening, you can remove it and replace the seat with a new one.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 2, 2012, 03:08 PM
    I don't think I would try drilling. First, I wouldn't know the proper size to drill. Seats come in a large number of sizes, threads and shapes. The threads are usually a fine thread and are not the common machine thread. You will probably never find the proper tap. The seat threads have to make a water tight seat with the body of the faucet. The manual tap is usually a little over sized as compared with the tap used by the machinist. Even if you find the proper size tap you will probably have a leak through the threads.

Try removing the old seat with an easy out tool. The seat is brass and therefore a soft metal. Try tapping the easy out down into the seat with a hammer to give it a good bite in the seat. Then try to remove the seat. You may have to drill out the center of the seat to fit the easy out tool.
    If that doesn't work you are probably have to replace the faucet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Valve Stem Seat [ 10 Answers ]

Thanks for all the help. I did look into the pipe and there does appear to be a seat, but it is in poor condition. My seat wrench doesn't seem to work. Would W-D 40 help? :confused:

How do I install a hot and cold valve stem for a bathtub? [ 8 Answers ]

I need to know if anyone can send me the steps for installing hot and cold valve stems for a bathtub and if you can send a diagram of a normal bathtub bathtub and what each part is so I can help my brother-in-law and sister get their bathtub fixed. Please respond as soon as you can. Thanks.

Loose shower valve stem [ 4 Answers ]

I had a slow leak in my walk-in shower so I decided to replace both the hot and cold shower stems and seats. After some work, I managed to remove the old American Standard style stems and seats and replace them with Danco 9C-23H/C (Stock #15700B) stem sets. Both stems seem to screw into the...

Replace cold water valve stem in shower [ 1 Answers ]

How hard is it to replace my cold water valve stem in my shower

View more questions Search