Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    southpaw_23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2012, 12:03 AM
    How long do we need to wait before filing for a divorce?
    Hi,
    My brother got married in Canada 2010 and wanted to file for a divorce but was advised not to pursue it yet since his Permanent Resident was not yet approved. His wife is skilled worker and has a good chance for the Approval of PR. They are both foreign workers. She files for both of them (as couple)last year, but no result yet. Will there be a problem if he files for a divorce while their application as couple is still on processing?
    He tired to apply on his own but according to Immigration/Employer, he is not eligible since he was only non-skilled worker.
    And if the PR was approved, how long does he need to wait before he can file for a divorce?
    The wife bluntly said that she will not help him with the PR if he leaves her. He just want to get the opportunity of PR for his family back home. (But at the back of his mind, he doesn't want to live with the wife anymore).
    Please help advise what he can do for now. He is so confused right now and we are so worried because he's too far from our family.
    Thank you in advance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2012, 08:59 AM
    Are these people residents of Canada or the US or somewhere else? I can't tell.
    southpaw_23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2012, 08:51 PM
    Both Filipino citizen and working in Canada. Their application for PR is still on process..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2012, 08:39 AM
    If theirs is a fraud marriage, staying married only for purposes of Immigration, they can BOTH be denied permanent residency.

They both need to speak to a Canadian Attorney who specializes in Immigration. He/she will know how to best proceed so as to not endanger the applications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long you wait after a divorce before can marry and possible file a petition again [ 2 Answers ]

Married for 2 yrs getting a divorce . How long should you wait after a divorce before can marry and possible file a petition again

How long do you have to wait before getting a divorce after your papers are done? [ 7 Answers ]

How long do you have to wait before getting a divorce after your papers are done? I'm currently seeing someone that has not yet finished his papers, but he feels that it is almost done. He says he has to wait 2 years after the papers are done to divorce her... but I find that hard to believe... how...

How long must I wait to re-marry after a divorce s final? [ 5 Answers ]

I Live in the State of Texas. I was considered married by common law and am divorcing him due to severe physical abuse. He is in Prison now and has been for 2 years. My divorce is final August 16, 2010 and The man I have been with for a year and I wish to be married August 20, 2010. Is this...

How long to wait for divorce after service by posting [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse and I have been separated for over 5 years. We only lived together as husband and wife for about 3 months. I filed for divorce and searched for him 8 months. With no luck, I serviced him by posting at the court house since we had no children. How long do I have to wait to prove up my...

How long do I wait to file my taxes after filing a chapter 13? [ 2 Answers ]

I have filed a chapter 13 and I am supposed to have a confirmation meeting March 31. Do I need to wait until after the meeting or can I file my taxes now?

View more questions Search