Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12gink Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Drain pipes
    Why can't drain pipes from sinks be in a somewhat clear plastic so you can see when you are getting a clog or what is causing a clog?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2007, 08:00 PM
    You can buy glass plumbing pipes and if you want to pay the price you can have them. I have installed lots of glass piping in Laboratories that use lots of acids.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Interesting question. You could measure the OD of your current drain, and go buy some clear plastic tubing with the ID to fit it. Many places have heavy, tough vinyl in large sizes. Cut off the current drain pipes, slip the plastic over the stubs. Arrange it into a trap. It needs to go down and back up far enough to trap water in the bottom of the loop, and then back to the vent in the wall. Secure the ends with the screw type radiator clamps.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it quickly developed an ugly coating you couldn't see through.

I installed flexible clear plastic tubing on an A/C condensate drain about a year and a half ago. We made it through last summer with no backups for the first time in years. It had been a long time problem despite having professionals work on it several times.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 19, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 12gink
    why can't drain pipes from sinks be in a somewhat clear plastic so you can see when you are getting a clog or what is causing a clog?
    Because most blockages occur in a wall or under cement. I have installed glass drainage in a school laboratory but never in a residence. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub won't drain and pipes are replaced [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has removed the trap for the tub and replaced the pipes. The tub will still not drain. We have tried everything snaking , draino everything but a plumber. You can't get a plumber to even look at your problems for 6 months. We live in a hurricane Katrina zone in Louisiana. Any and all...

Drain pipes knocking [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have been struggling with a big plumbing issue. My home is 6 years old, and about 3.5 years ago I noticed a knocking noise in the walls while running hot water. I called out a plumber with no resolution. I have narrowed the problem down to hot water Drainage. The knocking occurs when...

Slow shower drain - old pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. We just purchased a house with older pipes. The shower drain on the second floor is incredibly slow: when you remove the plug from the bath it does not move at all. I've read all of the "snaking" suggestions but am concerned I will injure the pipes, having no idea what kind of shape...

Drain outdoor pipes [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps for draining the pipes to an outdoor shower?

Tub drain pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I am having a bathroom renovated. After replacing the old tub, the plumber connected the drain pipe of the new tub to the old system with cast iron pipes, connecting them to the old system with screw tightening sleeves, rather than threading pipe fittings. I am concerned that this type of...

View more questions Search