Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khanhle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2012, 07:39 AM
    I filed the wrong form last year, but I realize it this year. I am F1 student.
    Hello,

I am a student/f-1 visa holder (non-resident alien). Last year, the first time I filed tax, and actually I don't have any idea about W2 form. When the school sent it to me, I don't know what is that. And one time my friend came to my home and saw that form, and helped me to file tax. He used turbo tax. We put every information as normal, and then I got the return of $1,200. I did not know anything until this year, 2012, when I received the W2, I want to get some help, and I ask another friend, I know that I used the wrong form. I really worry now, I am afraid of penalty, and I don't know if I committed the crime. What can I do now? Is it OK if I return the tax refund last year or what is the consequences, if just paying money, I'm OK.
    I really appreciate your help.
    Thanks a lot.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2012, 03:22 PM
    You did NOT commit a crime; you just filed incorrectly in ignorance. There was NO criminal intent; hence, no crime.

However, you DO need to fix the error by filing Form 1040X to amend the 2010 return and submitting a properly-prepared Form 1040NR-EZ plus Form 8843. On the top of the first page of the Form 1040NR, print the word "AMENDED", then staple the Form 1040NR-EZ and 8843 to the Form 1040X.

On the Form 1040X, explain what happened and request that they re-instate your non-resident alien status. If added taxes are due, send them a check and request they waive all penalties and interest. Though interest is REQUIRED by law, if it is a small amount, the IRS may waive anyway. No harm in asking.

If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 student with OPT-filed wrong income tax form [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F1 student in Miami, Florida. I have been approved an OPT and worked for a company. I used a free income tax service and they filed the Form 1040. After that, I found out that I have to fill out the Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ as I am a nonresident alien. What can I do to correct the...

F1 student filed 1040 last year, which form to fill this year? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I filed 1040 NR in my 1st year (2008) and filed 1040 by a tax guy in my 2nd year (2009). Now its time to file tax returns. I am an exempt student so I am not a resident alien. My question: 1. I know I have to file 1040 NR now.. But do I need to do amendment for my last year's mistake by...

F1 student filed 1040A last year, filed 1040NR EZ this year. How to file 1040x? [ 5 Answers ]

I am an F1 student in USA for last 3 years. The first year (2007) I filed 1040 NR EZ. For 2008 I used turbotax and filed 1040A which I realized to be a mistake later. Now I filed 1040 NR EZ for 2009 last week. Now how do I amend my last year's returns? Also I worked for a few months last year...

Wrong tax form filed by F1 student [ 1 Answers ]

I am an international student (F1-vsia) coming to U.S in fall 2006. I worked on-campus as graduate assistant. I used Freetaxusa (FREE online tax preparation - 2008 income tax return filing | FreeTaxUSA.com) to file my income tax in April 2008. They used Form 1040 (federal tax) and Form SC 1040...

Wrong Tax form filed by f-1 student. Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in a dilemma and I will really appreciate your help. I am a student/f-1 visa holder (non-resident alien). Last week I used an online website (File my taxes for FREE! with FreeTaxUSA) to file tax returns and realized that the website used Form 1040, and PA-40 - 2007 (for...

View more questions Search