Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ambermayk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 12:47 PM
    My dog isn't eating and always thirsty
    My dog luke is a nine yr old huskie/shepard/pincher mix. Two weeks before christmas he started drinking lots more water. He has since then almost stopped eating. We ha e tried 4 different types of food. He barely eats any of his first bowl. He is still drinking lots of water and his energy level has dropped a lot. Today he pooped what looked just like plain grass. He could not get it all out and I had to help so concerned
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 29, 2012, 04:09 PM
    Time for a trip to the vet if you haven't already done so. Could be a distended bowel or many other infections in dogs. Canine Bloat
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Feb 29, 2012, 04:50 PM
    At 9 years old your dog could be developing age related disorders such as kidney/liver disease, diabetes. He could have a digestive upset or disorder, it could be a number of things. What would be best for him would be to have a vet check him over and test for things that he/she deems necessary to get to the bottom of what is going on. We can only guess.
    My best advice would be to get him in for an exam.
    Goozama Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2012, 11:07 PM
    He may have parvo
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Mar 20, 2012, 12:40 AM
    I am with lady sam... something like diabetes, renal disease, or hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's disease). Also, add a stomach problem. Finally, at 9 years old, any sort of malignancy has to be included in a list of 'maybe's'.
    Dogs with digestive upsets will frequently eat a little grass. If he is passing grass (it is totally indigestible) then he is eating more than a little. Time for an exam.
    Diabetes and kidney disease can be almost diagnosed with a fairly simple blood test. Cushings also has several other features that may be suggestive, but not totally diagnostic. Malignancies are best left to x-ray, ultrasound, or CAT scan for 'insight'.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 20, 2012, 05:18 AM
    At 9 years of age Parvo is un-likely, also those symptoms don't really point to parvo. At 9 there is a greater risk for diseases that Paleophlatus and Lady Sam have mentioned. It could also be something as simple and a broken tooth. Check his mouth for any indication of infection or something lodged in his gums or tongue.

A lot of dogs eat grass, well, just because they can, some believe it's to settle and upset stomach. I agree entirely with the advice to seek a vet.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2012, 07:05 AM
    Amber, its been 3 weeks. Can you update us on your guy?
    ambermayk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2012, 09:36 PM
    We just found out he is a diabetic thank you for your advice.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2012, 12:17 PM
    How is his diabetes being controlled? I've had dogs on pills and dogs on insulin.

I'm curious about your experience.
    15dog13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Mar 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
    Take your dog to the vet ASAP. Then check your dog food maybe he is allergic to something in it. Also maybe your dog luke ate something that he should not have. My dad's dog ate lead piant and had to have a lot of vet work done and then he had to eat upright.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2012, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 15dog13 View Post
    take your dog to the the vet ASAP. then check your dog food maybe he is allergic to something in it. Also maybe your dog luke ate somthing that he should not have. My dad's dog ate lead piant and had to have alot of vet work done and then he had to eat upright.

Did you read the thread? The dog was diagnosed by a Veterinarian - the dog is diabetic.

Please read the whole thread before you answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One sick dog and one healthy dog, Healthy dog quit eating [ 4 Answers ]

I have two dogs, a male bassett and a femal black lab mix. Ever since the basset got sick last week and went blind in one eye my healthy dog has quit eating. She wants outside all the time and sits at the door when not outside. The healthy dog will only eat treats and not her regular food that...

My dog is 4 weeks pregnant and not eating I have tried allsorts of dog food [ 7 Answers ]

My dog is 4 weeks pregnant I have tryde allsorts of dog food can anyone help me

Got new dog and old dog stopped eating [ 2 Answers ]

Over Christmas we adopted a rescue dog while visiting family. The day after adopting her she was very sick and we spoiled her. Our other dog who is 4 yrs old was fine during this time. We went back home after Christmas and the dog that we had (the 4 yr old) stopped eating. He will eat people...

Dog is always thirsty & pees in crate [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is crate trained and has always been very good. In the past week, he has been peeing in his crate and is always very thirsty... what is his problem?

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

View more questions Search