Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smiley252 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 09:08 AM
    Hair follicle testing?
    Does shaving your hair take away the trace of drugs? Or when the new hair comes in does it carry the same trace?
    smiley252 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Can they shave your eye brows for a hair follicle test?
    Can they shave your eye brows for a hair follicle test?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2012, 10:36 AM
    That's an interesting question.

First, it would depend on the specific drug and when you last used. It is estimated that drugs that are incorporated into the hair from the hair bulb take 3-7 days to appear in the hair shaft above the scalp*. Of course that depends on how fast your hair grows and growth rates vary by a factor of 3x.

However, if you had used drugs within a couple of days of shaving your head then there could be some of the drug in your hair that hasn't made it to the surface yet*. But even that is dependent of the drug. In that case, certain drugs would be detectable as the hair grows back in proportion to the amount used during that time.

Shaving your head is often a self-defeating action. Collectors are trained to obtain the hair from an alternative source such as chest, axillary (under arm), pubic, leg. These alternative sites, having different growth rates, often contain drug at far greater concentrations than head hair and retain it for a longer period.

Point of interest: Hair drug testing never tests the hair follicle. Only the visible hair shaft.

* Illustration of human hair showing range where drug could exist, between dermal papilla and emergence above scalp.

As ex: Research and Development in Forensic Toxicology

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair follicle drug testing [ 3 Answers ]

Can a 12 panel hair drug test differentiate between hydro codone and hydromorphone if hydrocodone is already depostited in hair ?

Hair follicle testing [ 2 Answers ]

:confused:I have a hair follicle test that I have to take : I am a white female w/long dark brown hair - I quit smoking 23 days ago - Is there any way to pass this test?

Hair Follicle testing [ 2 Answers ]

I recently smoked marijuana almost 2 months ago... I have a hair follicle test soon. I have shaved every hair on my body and my hair grows about an inch every month. Will they test my eyebrows? Will I pass?

Hair follicle testing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend who is a former addict, but he has been clean for 13 years. He has recently had to take a hair follicle test for custody of his son. This test was done on pubic hair and showed a positive for cocaine and marijuana. The cocaine level was approximately 300. How long can cocaine...

Hair follicle testing [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone one know of a web site or company that sells hair follicle collection kits that will cover synthetic opiates? I'm looking to identify Nubain on a hair follicle screen, I don't think it can be identified by name, but it would be covered by a test that covered synthetic opiates. Thank...

View more questions Search