Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sreechinnu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
    Hello Everybody, I am on H4 visa. I own Google adsense account. I have created that
    Hello Everybody,

I am on H4 visa. I own Google adsense account. I have created that in India. Recently I've got a check of $170. I have added my name in joint account in BOA and I've encashed the money. I was not aware that I should not get Google adsense money on H4.

This happened last month and now I came to know that I should not make any revenues. Please anybody tell me what actions needed from side. I don't want my husband to get into any complications.. Please help me.

Thanks,
    Sree.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 29, 2012, 02:11 PM
    Sree:

First, a REAL argument can be made that this income, though coming from Google (a U.S. company) is actually foreign-sourced income, because the account was created while you were in India before you EVER came to the United States.

Second, the amount of income involved ($170) is so small that I doubt the USCIS will CARE. They have much more important things to do than track everyone who makes a few dollars off websites from Google.

Third, legally, you DO have to report the money on your joint return. Do so on Line #21 of Form 1040 as "other income", and the IRS will be happy. They will probably NOT EVEN NOTICE that YOU earned in the income, not your husband.

However, note that, for $170, Google does not have to generated a Form 1099-MISC, and I suspect they will NOT report it, so the IRS has NO WAY of knowing the income even exists.
    sreechinnu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
    Thank you very much for your quick response. By reading this, I am a bit relaxed.
    One more thing is: today I got a mail from BOA stating "we have identified an issue related to your accounts that requires your immediate attention" and also they needed personal primary identification.

I don't know what they meant by.. I suspect it may be because of the check we deposited. Will it be a problem?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 29, 2012, 07:03 PM
    If you are filing resident return, you must report worldwide income earned during H1-B.
    You received Google Adsense payment check in USD. Normally if account is created in India, you get check in INR. Did you create the account as US resident or nonresident?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H4 Visa holder Eligible for Google Adsense Income and ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know whether a H1B Visa hoder Eligible for Google Adsense Income and if so which tax form is applicable. Please tell me in detail. Thanks Valli

H1B Visa hoder Eligible for Google Adsense Income [ 5 Answers ]

Hi , I would like to know whether a H1B Visa hoder Eligible for Google Adsense Income and if so which tax form is applicable. I will glad to receive an answer . Thanks in advance Regards

Google Adsense, L1 A Visa Tax advice [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm a non-US citizen.(Maryland) I own a website running Google adsense And making some money (not too much but doing OK) All of my website activities mentioned below are managed by a person (my relative) In India but I work in US since August 2005 on L1A visa and I'm not Supposed to...

View more questions Search