Ask
    Bowshooter324 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 07:08 AM
    Do I have to file a NY tax return?
    My income is from ny state retirement system and is exempt from state taxes
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 29, 2012, 11:23 AM
    Assuming you are a NY State resident - per the instructions on page 5 for NY State IT-201 you must file if any of the following are true:

• You have to file a federal return.
    • You did not have to file a federal return but your federal adjusted gross income for 2011 plus New York additions (see page 16) was more than $4,000 ($3,000 if you are single and can be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal return).
    • You want to claim a refund of any New York State, New York City, or Yonkers income taxes withheld from your pay.
    • You want to claim any of the refundable or carryover credits in the credit chart on pages 6 through 9.
    • You are subject to the minimum income tax (see page 10).

You can read more detail from the instructions here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...GBZmHy0LBslB8A

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About tax return file [ 3 Answers ]

I have been on F1 visa from 2008 and 20010 and I didn't have any income. So I didn't do any tax return file but I came to know that I was suppose to. Can I still file for the year 2008, 2009 along with 2010?

What tax return should I file under when I am on an H1-B [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was an international student on an F1 visa from Aug 2005 to May, 2007 , afterwhich I have been on my OPT till Sept 31, 2008. I shifted over to an H1-B starting of Oct 1, 2008. I wanted to know what category of the tax return should I file under; Non-Resident Alien or Resident? Thanks

Do I need to file a tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a canadian citizen and I was enrolled as an F1 student for 5 months at a US university (Georgia) in 2007. During this period I got a stipend and paid tuition. My salary was setup in such a way that the university would deduct taxes and kept some 15% of the income (as IRS requires for foreign...

File W-7 form without tax return and why to file as a resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA in August 2004 on F1 Visa. I graduated and change status to H1b visa from October 2007. Now, I got married and my hasband came to USA on January 2008 on H4 visa. I have my brothers whom I can claim as they have green card and not earning anything. I will have to wait till May 2008...

Do I need to file tax return ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was in US for 5 yrs and returned to India in June 2005. I don't have any income from US, except Interest Income (<2500) from US banks. Let me know do I have to file 1040NR ? Thanks

View more questions Search