Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deltadad99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2012, 11:17 PM
    What position do Quakers take towards Lent
    What position does the Religious Society of Friends take towards the celebration of Lent?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2012, 11:27 PM
    If you Google the keywords Quakers and Lent, you will get a number of hits, such as --

Friends have traditionally shunned the traditional church calendar, not observing religious festivals such as Christmas, Lent, or Easter at particular times of the year, but instead believing that Christ's birth, crucifixion and resurrection should be commemorated every day of the year, not just on certain days, and that if something should or should not be done on certain days, this should be done all the year around and not just on those days. For example, many Quakers feel that fasting at Lent but then eating in excess at other times of the year is an act of hypocrisy, and therefore many Quakers, rather than observing Lent, live a simple lifestyle all the year round. These beliefs tie in with Friends' beliefs on sacraments and the belief that all of life is sacred. (from Religious Society of Friends ( Quaker ) | ReligionResourcesOnline.org)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why did the pilgrims and the quakers move to the colonies? [ 0 Answers ]

Social studies question

Looking to leave position with no compete clause... same field different position [ 4 Answers ]

Wondering if leaving for a different position in same type business <much smaller scale> is enforceable in a no compete clause

Ceiling fan works in the clockwise position but not in the counterclockwise position [ 1 Answers ]

Our ceiling fan (circa 1998, Gulf STream Model 978A/five blade) has the typical switch on the side of the housing to enable the fan to go clockwise or counterclockwise. Counterclockwise works at all three speeds. Clockwise does not work at all. Gives no indication (motor noise) that there is any...

My 2 Quakers have been Mating for a long time and still no eggs, Why is that? [ 3 Answers ]

My quaker parrots mate almost everyday and no eggs, whys is that? They have a cockatiel size nestbox, twigs, beeding plenty of food and water. They are very close always even when they sleep. The other day I saw that what I thought was the female trying to get on top of the male to mate, and...

Thesis statement on Quakers [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there... I am in a peace studies class and I have to write a research paper on a group of my choice, so I chose the Quakers, a religious sect of the Christian religion. I have a rough draft of a thesis that I could use, but I'm not sure if it is clear enough and how I would go about writing and...

View more questions Search