Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corney6546 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 11:02 AM
    Sharkbite connectors
    Thanks to "MASSPLUMBER"'s excellent advise I have successfully removed our old jacuzzi and also old shower stall. Now am going to repair holes in flooring which I had to cut to facilitate accessing drains and water supply pipes for old above units.Then install new sub floor over original 1"x12"plank flooring and then tile same. BUT.. before I do the floor reconstruction I'm going to have to re-route the water supply lines to a new location for a new soaker tub and also a new shower. I'm thinking of going from the existing copper to "Pex", using (new to me) "Sharkbite" connectors. I have read many reviews on them, some con. But great majority positive. I have no problem with "sweating joints but due to the floor cavity being extremely tight and surrounded by dry 100 yr. Old dry woodwork I'm hesitant to introduce my torch into it...My question is..would you seal these "Sharks" into an inaccessible area under a tile floor or behind drywall.
    Thanks for any advise or suggestions... CORNEY
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Hi again Corney

Great question! I'm sorry to say that I cannot advise you to install sharkbite fittings in an inaccessible area... at least not until we have a few more years under our belts with these things... ;)

You would be better off, in this case, soldering on a transition fitting and adapting over to CPVC or PEX tubing... just do it using the correct transition fittings and you should be all set.

Back to you...

Mark
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
    Agree with Mark. I only use in exposed areas.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
    I also agree here. Even though push fit fittings (sharkbite, gatorbite,etc) are allowed to be installed in concealed areas under most codes in most areas, I still wouldn't suggest installing them unless they are easily accesable. They seal with a simple rubber o-ring, and just not sure how that's going to hold up over the years as Mark mentioned. Sweat on a conversion fitting and go from there.

I will mention that I have had almost 100% success with push fits, but I also haven't had any out there for more than three years or so. For now, stick with the tried and true. In another five years or so, we should have a pretty good idea about the endurance of the push fits.
    diamondbus Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 2, 2012, 02:37 PM
    The O'ring used in the SharkBite fittings are not just any o'ring. They are chloramine and chlorine resistant. They should totally outlive that water system. Besides the fittings have a 25 yrs warranty on them. I think you should definitely use them w/o any concerns. They are approved for behind the wall and underground.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2012, 03:08 PM
    Hi Diamondbus

I'm on board with all that you presented... just not ready to give these 100% approval for awhile, yet! While the ORING may be chemically resistant... installation practices vary between individuals and if they don't properly debur the pipe ends, for example, and catch that ORING in any way, I'm betting there could be a failure down the road... ;)

As me and the others indicated, we're going to wait a few more years here until we start using them in concealed areas. I don't care what the engineers have to say on it either... they have been wrong more often than right, I swear!

Hey, thanks for posting your info.!! Glad to chat back and forth over it...obviously you know the product!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Romex connectors [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know if push in type romex connectors can be used to enter a load center in NYC

PS/2 connectors [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Again! Matt here, I've just installed a new motherboard in my computer everything works great except that I can't use my keyboard or my mouse unless I use the USB ports. I would rather use the PS/2s but can't figure out why they won't work. I tried looking for and adding drivers to no avail....

Check out these fittings: Sharkbite connection system. [ 8 Answers ]

My maintenance sales guy stopped in this morning and showed me this... and I'm still wowing over it: http://www.cashacme.com/sbpush.php No heat, glue or tools needed - and use the same fitting for whether you're using copper, cpvc, cts or pex - or even going from one to the other. I will...

Crimp connectors [ 1 Answers ]

What’s the proper way to install crimp connectors? Not butt splice connectors, I have used those many times. These connectors (made by GardnerBender) are plain metal and look like short pieces of tube. The instructions are confusing: insert wires, twist together then crimp. Are both wires...

View more questions Search