Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjeaton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 08:35 AM
    Water Heater Burner Won't Stay Lit... Sometimes Doesn't Light at All
    I've got a natural gas electronic ignition water heater (no pilot light for me to light). There is a big sticker on the hot water heater that says "RUUD" but the manual stuck to the side of it says it is a "PowerVent" Residential Gas Water Heater.

Anyway, I woke up this morning and there was no hot water, so I went to the basement to check out the hot water heater. After unplugging the hot water heater, I opened up the service door and turned the power switch to off and turned the gas knob to off. Then I waited about five minutes, plugged the hot water heater back in, turned the gas knob to on and then turned the switch to the on position.

I left the service door open so I could see the pilot light and the burner. I can hear something click, then I can see the electric arc form to light the pilot light. The pilot light ignites and there is a nice blue flame. Now, sometimes, the pilot light ignites, and then goes out a couple of seconds later without ever igniting the burner. Other times, the pilot light ignites and the burner then also ignites, but then both go out a couple of seconds later.

It doesn't seem to do the same thing twice... meaning sometimes the pilot light ignites, sometimes the pilot light ignites and lights the burner and sometimes the pilot light doesn't ignite at all... but no matter what, what it does do consistently, is any flame that is formed (if one is formed, whether it be by the pilot the burner or both) they all go out seconds after forming.

The vent pipe is unobstructed (I checked) and I also lit a cigarette near the top of the water heater and blew the smoke into vent and watched it immediately disappear.

I've tried the water temperature reset button, without having that make a bit of difference.

Any ideas guys?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 12:52 PM
    Hi Rjeaton

I work with the RUUD heaters all the time and I'm sorry to say that in this case you want to call the RUUD technical department and talk with a technician... he (or she) will walk you through a number of steps that will quickly show you the issue at hand.

If we try to talk you through this you could be days messing with us answering questions and waiting for us to respond back, OK?

Call RUUD technical @ Phone: 1-800-432-8373 Have your serial number and model number handy... ;)

They should help you solve this quickly!

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater pilot light will not stay lit [ 43 Answers ]

The pilot light on my gas water heater will not stay lit. I can light the pilot light, but when I release the valve, it goes out.

Hot water heater burner won't stay lit [ 0 Answers ]

My hot water heater is an American brand Powerflex. I have plenty of hot water and my pilot light is on but when the unit tries to heat up after a shower or something, the burner will kick on for about a minute or more then make a loud clicking sound and kick off. It will then immediately turn...

Pilot light will not stay lit in gas water heater after burner has been on? [ 6 Answers ]

I can light the pilot, but after the burner has been on and it goes off it is almost like it blows out the pilot.

Pilot light will only stay lit long enough for my burner to fully heat my water. [ 5 Answers ]

I can light the pilot light and the burner will turn on. Once the water is fully heated, the burner turns off, the pilot light goes out and I am unable to keep the pilot light lit until the unit cools back down (after the pilot light goes out, I have to wait a couple of hours and use some of the...

Gas water heater pilot light won't stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

The pilot light on our State Censible gas water heater will not stay lit... it is not the thermacouple and it is protected from drafts. We light it daily... we get enough hot water for about 2 showers and a load of dishes. What could be causing this problem?

View more questions Search