Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JxSurfin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 07:54 AM
    Phone Wire Voltage?
    Using an FVD I found Foreign Voltage on the OW and IW... How much Voltage would cause my Phone to short... Givin that all I have to test this is an FVD?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 08:02 AM
    The voltage on the phone line is nominally 48 volts DC when on hook (open circuit) and about 6 - 9 volts when off hook (phone in use). Ringing voltages are 90-130 volts at 20Hz AC.

Could you please clarify what you mean by "FVD," "OW" and "IW"?

Feb 27, 2012, 11:06 AM
    FVD = Foreign Voltage Detector an AT&T Detector given to me... Gives a 0 to 100 and pings at 100 Not used to Measure, OW = Outside Wire (At the NID), IW= Inside Wire
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 11:37 AM
    OK, so this device is detecting an AC voltage on the line, correct? Why are you doing this - is there a problem with your phone? You mention it may have a short - why do you think so?

If you want to investigate the source of this AC voltage I suggest disconnecting the inside wire at the NID and then seeing on which side of the disconnection the AC is present on.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
    If you have DSL, my test set can hear the Data.
    What are you looking for in particular?
    Data, subaudible, noise, static. If it it at the D Mark (outside box(OW)) Not much you can do but have them run a test on the line. If Internal, would be easier to find.

Feb 28, 2012, 07:59 AM
    The Red/ Green is showing the Voltage. I was/ am replacing the CAT 3 with CAT 5 and my concern/ reason was my phones kept dropping out. HAd Ringmaster for my Fax line and removed it... Phones still clipping out. With this FVD I show 40 on the LED at the insulated wire and 60 at the bare wire. So, do I have a bad CAT 3 Line resting on Power wire or some other sourse inside the walls?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2012, 05:34 PM
    Sounds more like an intermiddent make and break. Is this daisey chained, home run? Isolate a jack directly from the d-mark and if you see immediate improvement, if so, it is inside wiring. If not it is from Telco.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The voltage of telephone wire [ 10 Answers ]

The voltage of telephone wire in The USA

How do you wire two phone hand sets with a 9 volt batt. For wire tracing [ 0 Answers ]

I have 2 phone handsets that I want to wire up for communicating on electrical wiring for tracing purposes. I built a set about 20 years ago but I do not remember how to wire them now. I know there is a 9 volt battery and a toggle switch.

Voltage neutral wire [ 2 Answers ]

I'm replacing an overhead light with a ceiling fan in a 1940's house. The wires are not color coded & my multi meter reads 120v coming from ALL wires to the ground! How do I find out which is the hot wire? They all read hot! There are 2 wires twisted together, a ground wire and a solo wire. I tried...

Voltage in neutral wire [ 13 Answers ]

While replacing burnt outlet from portable heater (I didn't do it!) got 8 volt reading between ground and nuetral could device elswher on circuit be causing this ?

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

View more questions Search