Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WeGetMoneyLC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2012, 09:15 AM
    My scooting pup.
    I have a 6 week old American Bully. O brought him home at 5 weeks. He got all his shots-all that are avalible for his age. He also got his deworming meds. He's eating and drinking fine. His poop was a little runny but this morn. I noticed that it was harder. I just don't understand why he scootin all around the house on his butt.
    mamaof2boys Posts: 220, Reputation: 25

Feb 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
    Even though he's had a dewormer once he definitely could have worms. Puppies need to be dewormed more than once so it may be time to do it again.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2012, 07:52 PM
    There are actually two theories as to why dogs rub their butts on the floor.

The first reason is worms. A proper worming schedule is needed in young dogs. However; it is always recommended to have fecal done before starting any worming to prevent the creation of "super worms" that become immune to the wormer.. and to ensure that you are using the right type of wormer to kill specific species of worms.

Another theory is that the dog has full anal sacs (scent glands located inside the anus) and they are trying to express them. If the dog does it all the time, you need to go to the vet and see why they aren't releasing on their own. Sometimes they can be impacted and are very painful for the dog... This can also lead to abscessed anal sacs and is even more painful for the dog.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2012, 04:50 AM
    To add to Lucky098's good advice, make sure there's no dried feces on the pups rear, dried in the hair can be aggravating. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog bit the cord off twice of pup and pup died [ 7 Answers ]

My dog gave birth to a puppy that came feet first, the pup an over grown tongue and she bite the cord off and then bit it off again and the puppy bled to death. Why would she do this.

My pup doesn't act like a pup [ 7 Answers ]

I just adopted a black lab puppy he is 15 weeks old I was told his mother was a stray and he was bottle fed and never bonded with his mother. He does not play like a pup of his breed should he acts like he was abused because he cowers when called and won't leave my room to explore and he does not...

Parvo Pup #2 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! About a year ago (almost exactly a year ago) we found a little pup on our street and brought her home. She was around our three adult dogs for 3 days before we found out she had Parvo. Once we discovered this we took her to the vet and she was put into the hospital until she got better....

Mysterious pup [ 6 Answers ]

I adopted this puppy from the pound but they didn't know what type he was and I'm having trouble figuring it out too. I was wondering if there is anyway I could find out how big he is going to get. He's almost 3 months and weighs about 10-13 lbs. Any ideas?

Dog scooting lots [ 1 Answers ]

We have had our dog for 1.5 yrs now. She always goes through phases where she scoots on her butt lots. We have taken her to the vet for this and are told her anal glands get plugged and need draining. So as soon as she scoots we take her in and get them drained and then she seems OK. But now...

View more questions Search