Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pippa3907 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2012, 07:37 AM
    Long term boyfriend doesn't know if he wants to marry me
    I have been with my boyfriend for 9.5 yrs, I am now nearly 26. Naturally, I have been thinking about the next step and getting married, probably started thinking about it a year ago, perhaps longer. I waited... and waited, no proposal. I have tried to talk about it on numerous occasions and he has basically said he is still not ready for marriage and still doesn't know if he wants to get married to me.

What's frustrating is our relationship is great and when I ask him what he feels is wrong with our relationship to give him these doubts, he says that there is nothing wrong and he is completely happy with me and our relationship! He has just asked me to give him more time. But how long do I keep on waiting? I have waited nearly 10 years. This situation is starting to have such a negative effect on me, making me insecure in our relationship and myself. I'm now starting to think about leaving him and I'm just finding it too hard to be with someone that is still unsure if he wants a future with me.

I don't want to pressure him to marry me, but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice my own happiness. Please help.
    hsleep1992 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 03:14 AM
    He is happy and content with you, the way you are. He doesn't want or need a piece of paper to validate what you already have. I'm having the same problem. I've waited five years. If you must have marriage, give him the option. Marriage or single life. Leave if you must. I'm about to do this very thing. You don't want to waste more time waiting for a proposal that may never come.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 02:21 PM
    Making him set a date for marriage is not pressure.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
    Think about it. Why should he marry you? He has it all now.

Can you make a case for marriage that will override his contentedness with the status quo? What more will he gain by marrying you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital Gains Taxes - Short Term vs Long Term [ 2 Answers ]

Here are my ST and LT Capital Gains/Losses for past 2 years: 2011 ST Loss = 10k 2011 LT Gain = 5k 2012 ST Gain = 20k 2012 LT Gain = 10k What I would want to do is NOT net the ST Loss with LT Gain in 2011 and just pay the LT Cap Gain Tax on 2011. Then carry over the ST Loss from 2011 into...

Short term and long term aspiration for cash management officer? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Guys, Cab you please advice me for short term and long term aspiration of cash management officer? I've working on AP accountant for 5 years. Then few months ago I've changed my position for Cash Management Officer. Then here is the my job description:  Responsible for processing daily...

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Long term marriage.long term problems [ 6 Answers ]

Well Where do I start …I have been with the same woman since high school and now at 41 we are in a very rough marriage with a 4 year old son …we almost got a divorce at the 7 year mark due to her request that she just didn’t love me anymore and some of the hurtful things I had done like some...

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

View more questions Search