Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    triton21 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2012, 06:33 AM
    1" short from finished wall
    Installing a kohler santa rosa toilet do I need an offset flange?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 26, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Do you mean your falnge puts the toilet 1" too close to the wall? The Santa Rosa is a 12" rough in, what is the distance from the finished wall to the center of the flange?

Feb 26, 2012, 08:54 AM
    Exactly 1"

Feb 26, 2012, 08:56 AM
    Exactly 1"

Feb 26, 2012, 08:56 AM
    Unless you mean 1' and not 1" you are not measuring what I need you to lokk at. What is the distance from the finished wall to the center of the flange?

Feb 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
    Sorry, the distance from fin. Wall is 11" to center of existing flange.

Feb 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
    Your choices are to install an offset flange or to purchase an 11" rough in toilet, your current one is 12" rough in.Here is an offset for a PVC installation http://www.zorotools.com/g/00062875/k-G0793457?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc &utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gc lid=CP7HzayCvK4CFcPAKgodcjnIHA
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 26, 2012, 10:32 AM
    Eleven inches to the finished wall or eleven inches to the baseboard? A 12" will probably work. Most 12" sit about 1" from wall.

Feb 26, 2012, 10:59 AM
    Thank you, I will fit it first without the wax seal to be sure.

Feb 26, 2012, 11:27 AM
    I would definitely dry fit it but really don't think this is the best option. Toilet tanks sit 1" from the wall for a reason. Besiure your tank lid is on during your dry fit. If the tank or lid touches the wall you will have problems.

Feb 26, 2012, 03:27 PM
    Got it makes sense to me. Appreciate your help!
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Feb 27, 2012, 09:10 AM
    Sorry to jump in, but why is there a problem if the tank lid touches the wall?

Feb 27, 2012, 09:28 AM
    The tank is connected to the toilet base with a flexible connection which absrobs sounds, vibration and shock if you lean back too much. If the tank touches the wall the vibration from the fill valve and flush valve will be transmitted into the wall surface. Also, if the lid touches and someone does lean back the lid will move up and off the tank with possible damage. They do make toilets with 11' rough ins as well as 10". That would be the correct mthod to follow or a ofset flange.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finished basement wall framing and insulation - Reflectix? [ 1 Answers ]

We are beginning to renovate our basement. It was finished by the previous owner probably about 20-25 years ago. I removed the wood paneling and was delighted to find that the walls were fully framed using 2x3 studs. Between the studs and the foundation wall is a layer of heavy, metallic paper...

Does the electrical outlet box need to be flush with finished wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Does the electrical outlet box need to be flush with finished wall?

How do I run speaker wires in-wall in finished basement? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and at the point where I need to get the speaker wiring in. I'm confused about if I need to make home runs with all the wires or just connect them all in parallel. I'll have a TV and receiver in one room and in the other room I'll have the stereo receiver. I'd like to play...

Drywall tape on finished wall keeps popping up [ 4 Answers ]

I've been remodeling, painting, etc. The house is 8 yrs. Old with textured walls. It's mostly on corners but in several places the drywall tape is popping up along edges here and there. I took care of it with spackle and painted etc. In some places it has started coming up again. Is my...

Basement toilet way too far from finished wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I had our house built 5 years ago roughed in for 1/2 bath in the basement. Now that I'm finishing the basement, I've run into a problem. All the walls are framed, drywall is up and bath is ready for toilet installation. Much to my chagrin, I realized now that the center of the soil stack is 20"...

View more questions Search