Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Firefly101 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Feb 25, 2012, 02:00 PM
    A company is offering me less than I asked for
    I have been unemployed for over a year and recently got an interview for a receptionist position. However when I arrived one of the interviewers came out before the interview and told me that I was way over qualified for the position and that they want to interview me for a higher one. During the interview they (it was four of them) asked how much I would like to be paid. I always dread this question but I told them a salary that I thought coincided with my skills, experience and the position offered.

The interview was successful. One of the ladies who referred me to the job in the first place told me that it looks good and that they liked me. Now I'm hearing word that contracts have been drawn up for me at a salary 8k less than the range I told them. I know I've been out of a job long but at least try to come a little closer to what I told them. I think that's just not right. I know my worth and it's even less then my last job's salary.

Should I try to negotiate a better salary or just be satisfied with what they give me?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
    I would negotiate, especially since they have already told you how you're more valuable to them in a higher position. I wouldn't even negotiate but would say, "Hey, wait a minute!"

Let us know what happens!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
    I would mention it, but you have to be prepared that they may go with someone else if you ask for too much.

I guess it all depends on how badly you want this job. In this market there isn't a shortage of people looking for work. You are replaceable, and that's something you always have to keep in mind.

Good luck.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
    If they already asked you for a figure, they should have discussed a final salary with you to put into a contract before it was written up. I'm sort of unhappy with them. Are they doing a bait and switch? If they are being underhanded right off the bat, maybe you really don't care if they hire you.
    Pets Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
    WG, maybe I missed something, but from what I understood of her post they asked what she'd like to be paid, but they didn't agree to give her the salary she asked for.

This happens all the time. Just because you want a certain salary doesn't mean that the employer is obligated to, or can afford to, pay you that salary. There are guidelines. If that is the salary other employees in the position she's applying for are paid, then they really can't deviate from that too much.

I don't think this is a case of bait and switch, because I don't think they ever agreed to pay her what she wants. They just asked what she wants, and then made an offer they could afford and accept.

That doesn't mean she can't ask for more, but she does have to keep in mind that if she does they may find someone else. Right now there are college grads working at McDonalds because of the poor job market. People are lucky if they can even find a job. She said herself that she's been out of work for a year. If she doesn't want the salary they offered then they can and will find someone that can accept that rate.

She may be worth more, but there is the saying "beggars can't be choosers", and right now everyone is begging for a job.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
    Yes you gave them a figure, and they feel that they can get you much cheaper. As a manager I would look at first how much unemployment there is in that industry and position. I would look at what the normal pay currently is for a position. I would look at how long the person I am going to make a offer to has been unemployed and try to make a offer that is fair but also that works best for me. At a 8 K difference there has to be a issue, not your skills but the job you are being offered what is the current average pay for that position in that area..

You can refuse their offer and you can counter with a figure you will work for. Remember once you counter with a offer they are free to merely hire someone else
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    WG, maybe I missed something, but from what I understood of her post they asked what she'd like to be paid, but they didn't agree to give her the salary she asked for.
    I didn't say they had to agree. I said this; "If they already asked you for a figure, they should have discussed a final salary with you to put into a contract before it was written up."

If they had asked her for a salary idea, why did they disappear and then come in $8K less? Why didn't they discuss it with her before writing up the contract?
    Pets Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 04:40 PM
    I agree WG, but the fact is that they can offer whatever they want, and she can either accept it, negotiate, or walk away. They have the same option.

It really does come down to how much the OP wants a job. Eight thousand less a year is better than nothing a year, especially in today's job market.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 04:46 PM
    I agree WG, but the fact is that they can offer whatever they want, and she can either accept it, negotiate, or walk away. They have the same option.
    The fact that they ASKED her, she gave a figure or a range, and then they didn't say a word to her, but threw a significantly lower figure into the contract makes me wonder (that's why I'm Wondergirl!) about them and their integrity. I'd run over to the public library to find out what this job is really worth.

If I found out it's worth that extra $8K or so, I would definitely bring that to their attention and not just shuffle along and be agreeable. If they say I'm worth a lot more than the job I applied for, I'd go into a renewed job search a little more circumspectly.
    Pets Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 04:56 PM
    Not to sound mean, and I really didn't want to mention this, but if she's as highly qualified as she thinks, and worth as much as she says, then why has she been unemployed for the last year? She has a job offer. If the position she's looking for were abundant then she wouldn't be looking for a year.

There is some wisdom in not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

But it's completely up to her, and of course it's well within her right to ask for more money. I'm just playing devil's advocate, and stating the obvious, that it's also well within their right to take back the offer completely.

McDonalds is usually hiring. Right now there are tons of med school graduates working there, because there simply aren't enough jobs out there. If this doesn't work out she can always apply there and make significantly less then what this company is offering now.

But again, not my decision, just pointing out the facts.

I'll leave with saying I wish the OP all the best. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2012, 04:58 PM
    This is a hard one. On the one hand, you came in applying for a lower level position, I assume at a lower salary than the one you are being offered. So they know you were willing to accept something less.

Essentially you are in a buyer's market.

On the other hand, they did ask you for a range, but are coming in at less than you asked for. This could be because the position is budgeted for less than you asked or it could be a test to see how desperate you are.

I would approach it by asking if it is their final offer. But frankly they are in the driver's seat and they know it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 05:01 PM
    I'll play devil's advocate too. If she's been unemployed for a year and some company is amazed by her and says she's worth more than the job she applied for, then let them put their money where their mouth is -- or are they just blowing smoke?

I wonder what salary would she have gotten if they would have hired her for the job she applied for.

My problem is with this company.
    Pets Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 05:26 PM
    WG, I'm working in a job where I'm way overqualified. Most of the people I know are. That's the market right now.

They may be amazed by her, but trust me, there are thousands more where she came from, and they know it. Worse, those thousands are all looking for a job as well, and most of them would be willing to work for any pay cheque they can get.

They don't have to put their money where their mouth is, employees are a dime a dozen right now. If she doesn't want what they're offering they can throw a stick and hit someone else, just as qualified, that will.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 06:34 PM
    WG, I'm working in a job where I'm way overqualified. Most of the people I know are. That's the market right now.
    I've worked in jobs all my life that I've been overqualified for. I understand what you are saying.

Maybe the way to say this is that she should bite her tongue, take the job, and knock their socks off. They'll see her value to the company and give her a raise.
    Pets Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I've worked in jobs all my life that I've been overqualified for. I understand what you are saying.

Maybe the way to say this is that she should bite her tongue, take the job, and knock their socks off. They'll see her value to the company and give her a raise.
    That is the best advice anyone could give. I totally agree with that. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 07:10 PM
    That is the best advice anyone could give. I totally agree with that. :)
    It worked for me. I went from $3 an hour part-time shelving library books to a lot more (queen of cataloging) after a few years of proving myself. :)

You learn what you can where you are. Nothing is too menial to learn how to do and do well. I memorized Dewey Decimal numbers which paid off later when I became cataloging queen. Ask me any call number and I will tell you what kind of books are there.
    Pets Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 07:13 PM
    It worked for me. I went from $3 an hour part-time shelving library books to a lot more (queen of cataloging) after a few years of proving myself. :)
    I've been there too. I started as a temp making forms for an insurance company and it ended with a full time position in underwriting, and further college classes paid for by them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2012, 06:08 AM
    That's good advice. Kind of parallels my current situation. I got my current job after more than 15 months of unemployment. I almost didn't even interview because the agency told me up front the max salary which represented a huge cut from my last job.

But since I wasn't getting many interviews I decided to take it. I got a nice bump after 3 months and a huge raise after my first year.
    Firefly101 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2012, 05:41 PM
    Wondergirl you surely make a good point. TO be honest if they didn't ask me for a salary range I would have felt much better about it. The fact is they asked me how much I would like to be paid and gave them a range and they all nodded and smiled as if it were something they could work with. I will try to negotiate a salary of 5k more and see what happens. If they refuse to raise it believe me I will accept it anyway because as some have stated something is better than nothing and I am not completely unreasonable. But I will try to negotiate something better. It either works or it doesn't.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 3, 2012, 05:56 PM
    If you take their offer then you are basically downgrading yourself. Could be they are trying to see your worth and waiting for you to say that isn't good enough. I would call their bluff and stick to your guns by telling them what they are offering is too low.

If they vacilate on this, are they really worth working for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My company is not offering pre-funding anymore. [ 0 Answers ]

I work for one of the biggest companies in the United States (if that even matters) and as Oct. 01, 2010, they will no longer be taking out any pre-funding from my paycheck. They're also be sending me a check for the total amount that they've been deducting in one lump some over the years. I...

Insurance company not offering enough money [ 1 Answers ]

I was recently in and accident were a drunk 80 year old man hit me and 3 other friends head on, on highway 17 in santa cruz Ca. The old man died but all 4 of us lived. I was riding in the back seat and was not wearing my seat belt so I suffered very serious injuries. I broke my humorous (which I...

CC company offering a settlement? [ 1 Answers ]

The situation is this... The credit card company has offered a settlement that is lower than the balance on the card. The card is deliquent by months. Pay the settlement? How does that effect credit history and credit score? Would the company report this payoff?

View more questions Search