Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bowman5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Basement finishing
    I'm looking to finish my basement which has no leaks coming from the walls.
    My question is before I start framing is there anything I should do to the walls like some kind of vapor barrier or something,or can I just start framing it out.
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Feb 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Drylok masonry paint is a very good choice
    chullyman Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

Feb 20, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bowman5
    My question is before I start framing is there anything I should do to the walls like some kind of vapor barrier or something,or can I just start framing it out.
    I agree with sailor and apply with a heavy nap roller you may also want to buy something like a 5 mil plastic and go over your framework before applying your drywall or whatever the finish will be.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Feb 26, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bowman5
    Depends on the area whether it is dry or damp most of the time. If there is a white powder (effervescent stain) on the basement walls, that is a sign of past moisture saturation, then that would be a good idea to seal the walls. The next thing to consider is furring from the wall. Consider depth for eletrical box and insulation space clearances in the exterior walls. Some jobs insulate and then tack up visqueen moisture barrier before putting on sheetrock. Again, depends on seasonal moisture in your location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement finishing [ 17 Answers ]

I am in the early stages of laying-out my basement plans. There is a rough-in for toilet and shower, but not where I want the bathroom to be. I would like to move the rough-in pipes about 10-12 feet from where they are now for my ideal basement plan. I've done a lot of DIY home pprojects, but...

Finishing a Basement [ 5 Answers ]

Approximately how much will it cost to finish a basement on our own, with an added 1/2 bathroom, laundry room (not counting the appliances), a small wine celler, and a living area? I realize that a lot will depend on the quality of products that we use, but I was just wondering an average range. ...

Basement Finishing [ 1 Answers ]

I'm starting to finish a basement that is 15' high. Where the bathroom is at will only be framed 8' with a sheetrock ceiling and a plywood floor above that for storage. My question is will the walls of this bathroom be considered load bearing? And can I get away with 2x6 joists spaced 16" above?...

Basement finishing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm going to be working on finishing part of my basement to include installing a bathroom. I am wondering since the floor is concrete do I need to install some sort of sub-floor (example: bathroom tile or vinyl-and other room carpet) or will all materials work on the concrete? Thanks for...

Basement finishing and insulation [ 3 Answers ]

What is better for framing out a basement, wood or steel 2x4's. Also when insulating what vapor barrier is better none, kraft paper, foil or batts wrapped in plastic or a sheet of plastic before the wallboard is put up?

View more questions Search