Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scmitc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 10:39 AM
    K1 deduction on estate tax return
    My father passed away and had money in an IRA Account. A Beneficiary IRA account has been set up and we've been told we can have funds disbursed over 5 years. The trust states that his living children get equal shares of his estate. We realize that once the money is pulled out of the Bene-IRA account it is taxable to the trust but we plan on then issuing K1 forms to the recipient(s) and have him/her include it in their individual income for taxes rather than the trust's. I'm wondering if once a disbursement is made from the Bene-IRA account to the trust's checking account for my "portion" - can the trust cut a check to MY DAUGHTER instead of me (to pay for tuition) and have the K1 from the estate be issued to her SS# rather than mine? She's in a much lower tax bracket. As long as I don't infringe on my other siblings' inheritance amounts - they don't care where my portion goes.
    Sue

PS Thanks - "Atlanta Tax Expert" for your answer on my capital gains question yesterday - I don't need to set up a trust! :) If you did NOT get my "tip" via Paypal - please let me know.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Sue:

First, thank you for the tip; it has been posted to my PayPal account.

Second, your question is more a estate law question versus estate tax question. However, In my opinion, if neither the will nor the IRA beneficiary form designates your daughter as a beneficiary for the IRA, then I do not think the custodian can legally disburse the funds in her name under her SSN. The money is your money, and you are going to pay the taxes. Sorry about that.

However, the law regarding IRA disbursement has changed. I believe that you can retain the money in your OWN IRA until you turn 70.5 years of age. It would benefit you to double-check that with a local tax professional with experience in such matters.
    scmitc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Atlanta Tax Expert - thanks for your response. The beneficiary of the BENE-IRA account is the trust - not an individual. When distributions are made from the BENE-IRA, the checks are made payable to the trust and go into it's checking account and are included as income to the trust through a 1099. The trust has the option to K1 those proceeds out to individuals but those individuals must pay income tax on it. Dad's will includes the grandchildren as inheriting part of his estate also. He never specifies which part of his estate the funds should be allocated to for us - he just gave %'s of his estate to each heir. He had money in stocks and bonds also. So, we're thinking when distributions come from the BENE-IRA account to the trust, those of us with kids are going to distribute that money to the kids up to the % indicated in his will for each grandchild. We then use their social security # for the K1 tax purposes. Sorry I forgot to include that info in the first round. Based on your first response - because my daughter is included in the inheritance - it sounds like this might work.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Given what you have just said, then I withdraw my objection.

As long as the trust does not violate the terms/percentages specified in the will, it should be okay to issue the money and the K-1 under your daughter's SSN.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax deduction on dependent [ 9 Answers ]

I am currently on an H1b visa (for last 7 months) and my brother is under F1 visa ( 1month). I am paying for his tuition and was wondering if I can claim tax deduction based on the fact that he would be considered a dependent under me. Also, do I have to file any documents to make him as a...

Tax deduction on hybrid [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am non-residient alient having Nationality Indian and for 2005 my visa status was F1 and then OPT. I bought a Honda civic hybrid so I have question whether I can have a tax deduction on it. I have read following links and I am confuse.. ...

OPT tax deduction [ 1 Answers ]

I work during my OPT, but I paid federal tax, SSN tax, medicare tas. Since I overpaid tax, I have to get the overpaid part during tax return. What form should I use to file tax and how to get tax return? Thank you.

Tax percent deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question regarding the percentage of tax that would be deducted on my monthly pay. I am currently on my OPT and this is my second emplyer. I am on OPT since Jan, 2006. Is there a fixed percent tax deduction for all OPT candidates? Does it depend on previous tax returns? The only...

Mortgage interest and real estate tax deduction for J-1 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the US for 18 months, as an exchange professional. I plan to buy a condo or co-op in NYC and would like to know if I can deduct the interest on mortgage loan and the tax included in the monthly maintenance, from my taxed revenue? Thanks

View more questions Search