Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lpenek Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Stucco application
    Hi- We are fairly skilled do-it-yourselfers. We have just constructed an outbuilding with a total wall surface of 9"high and total length (4 sides) of 80 ft. We would like to stucco this ourselves. We have built pads and walls of concrete but this would be a first in stucco. The wall is sheathed in 1/2" plywood. I have bought Tyvek stucco wrap but am unsure of application of this and if this necessitates schedule D paper and wire lath on top, spacing of nails (and type). I know there has to be a bottom flashing attached under the paper but is there also corner edges like in sheet rock? Any advise on the three layers of stucco application would also be appreciated- whew- if you answer even a small percent of these questions it would be greatly appreciated. Lynne
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Feb 18, 2007, 11:35 AM
    I don't know anything about what you are doing. So the first place I would start is hit the Google search engine. In reading around there are mixed opinions on this stucco wrap.
    Hope someone here can provide you with more answers.

Tyvek stucco wrap - Google Search
    Tyvek stucco wrap - Google Search
    chullyman Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

Feb 20, 2007, 12:26 PM
    What I know of stucco wrap is its crap. I do not suggest using this. Use regular schedule d paper. But if you must yes you still apply wire mesh using Roofing nails. I like to overkill on any job I do so I use 1.5" roofers and hit the studs. Make sure the perimeter is nailed up good. Nail in the field about every 8 inches. This will ensure for no movement of the mesh. As far as corners go you can float the corners but I would not recommend this for your first time. Go to your local masonry suppliers they will help you out with that. Try to cover one entire area with one mix since the colors can vary between mixes.
    rilestyle stucco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lpenek
    Hi- We are fairly skilled do-it-yourselfers. We have just constructed an outbuilding with a total wall surface of 9"high and total length (4 sides) of 80 ft. We would like to stucco this ourselves. We have built pads and walls of concrete but this would be a first in stucco. The wall is sheathed in 1/2" plywood. I have bought Tyvek stucco wrap but am unsure of application of this and if this necessitates schedule D paper and wire lath on top, spacing of nails (and type). I know there has to be a bottom flashing attached under the paper but is there also corner edges like in sheet rock? Any advise on the three layers of stucco aplication would also be appreciated- whew- if you answer even a small percent of these questions it would be greatly appreciated. Lynne
    Do your paper from the bottom up so the top overlaps the bottom. Make sure to overlap your wire. For a complete job you need a scratch coat, then as the scratch starts to cure to a solid, then scratch it again using more lime and water in your mixes. Both coats should be at least 3/4 of an inch thick. If your using an acrylic finish you will need to float your walls as they start to cure ( using water and a spunge, wood... float).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior stucco [ 2 Answers ]

Apply stucco on the bottom of a bay window what needs to been done so mud doesn't fall off ?

Make up application [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I'm tired of applying my eye make up the same way everyday. Can anyone give me some tips on applying my eye make up. THANKS

Shower Leaks to Outside Stucco Wall [ 3 Answers ]

I have been reading the forums regarding leaky shower drain in a fiberglass enclosure and PVC drain pipe with much interest. My problem is that after a lengthy shower the stucco on the outside wall below my second floor shower gets damp and moisture appears to run out of an outside light...

Stucco continues to fall off [ 2 Answers ]

On the North side of my house the stucco continues to fall off. I had the whole house restuccoed 4 year ago and since then I've had 4 different companies try to repair. The area is approx 12 x 15 where the stucco won't stick. There used to be a water softener on that side of the house where a...

View more questions Search