Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chow mein Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Telling my ex to get over me - but its more complicated than that!
    A while ago, I was going out with this guy, and my parents are strict and don't want me to have a boyfriend until I'm older. They read my text messages and found out about a previous boyfriend and the one I was currently with. They grounded me, and they don't trust me, however I still talk to him on-line. He got over me, and I got over him, and then he started having feelings for me again, and I feel the same. We can't do anything as I feel guilty about going behind my parents back, and I don't want to break their trust again. I've spoken to him about all of this, and I've told him on a few occasions nothing can happen between us, but he still insists on having feelings for me. I'm meeting up with him for his birthday just as friends, I've told him nothing can happen and he says he understands and that he just wants to see me. I don't have a clue what to do, because I like him soooo much, we both love each other, but I just can't face going behind my parents back.:confused:

Basically, how do I tell him to get over me when I've told him already and I don't want to hurt his feelings and I still want to be friends with him?? Helppp!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2007, 09:30 AM
    First question is how old are you?
    chow mein Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    First question is how old are you?
    I'm eighteen
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Then guess what do not let your parents dictate to you who you can and can not see. You're an adult now. Break free and fly like a bird. Your parents have to realize you need to grow up and make decisions for yourself. It might be diffulcult for them to except but come on your 18.

Joe
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
    If you know someone likes you then don't expect them to just stop, and you should know people who have those kinds of feelings cannot just be friends. The only way he will get over you is to stop talking to him period and he will always have hope of being with you as long as you continue to talk or see him socially.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 18, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Surely you know how to tell him to leave you alone and make it stick... the trouble is you don't want to. And only you can correct that one, I'm afraid. There is a difference between "can't" and "won't"-- a significant difference. As an adult you will need to learn how to do things you don't necessarily want to do, dear Chow Mein, and so its probably best to begin exercising that skill now, eh?
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Val are you sure your not Canadian, Eh?

I think that this person needs to start making decisions for themselves. No matter how strict their parents are. I hope that this person takes steps of maturing and learn how to take the steps of becoming an adult.

Joe
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Your 18 and your parents won't let you have a boyfriend. What age are you allowed to have one?

Come on?? You're an adult and free to make your own choices. Your parents seem as though they need to do some growing up! Not you!

And don't expect this guy just to stop liking you because you said he has to! Feelings just don't have a switch that you turn on and off. But if you really don't want him in your life, tell him so and then cut all contact with him. Stop talking to him online and don't meet him for his birthday. Quite simple and I'm sure you knew that. But like Val said, you just don't want to!
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 02:01 AM
    Skell I tried to rate you had to spread it.

Chow Mein I have to agree with everybody else in that you can date now since you are an adult. I also think Val hit it on the head. You still want to date this guy.

So my question is what do your parents have against him? Is there something your not telling us, like he's a druggie, a player, or a lawyer (sorry couldn't resist) something along those lines. Because I think your parents should step in and try and stop you then. I'd say that if you were 30.

But if he's just a "normal" guy with no major problems or concerns then I think it's time you told your parents that you respect them, appreciate them, and love them but you must live and learn for yourself now. Tell them you still want there input but not there control.

Having said all that I still feel like something's missing from your posts and if so could you please fill in some of the blanks. If not ignore this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

5 yr. Old telling me (mom) she doesn't like me [ 17 Answers ]

Hello everyone I am looking for some help. My daughter is a very advanced 5 yr old and we get along GREAT. But for the past 3 months she has told me 4 times that she doesn't like me. And to make it worse it is when we are having a good day she hasn't even been yelled at. She just started school...

How do I know if they telling me the thuth? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a phone call from a lawyers office in Ga. They said that if I did not pay back a debt or have a plan set up in two days for a amount that I own on a credit card,which is 17,000.00 that they were going to start filing charges against me. A week later I called back and told them that I...

Telling him I might be pregnant. [ 6 Answers ]

Ok. I have been seeing this guy for 4 months now, he is married with 4 kids of his own and I am engaged to his nephew. While my fiancé has been locked up me and him have been involved and I think the last time we were together I might have gotten pregnant, but it is to early to be sure. How do I go...

Telling someone you like them. [ 9 Answers ]

To clear things first I myself am a woman. And there is this other girl who I find extremely attractive. Now my problem is I don't know how to tell her I like her and that I want to get to know her. I'm afraid she'll be freaked out by me if I say anything but I'm not even sure if she's straight or...

Telling Parents [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I just found this group this eveing I have an issue where I can use a little advise if any one can help. Ok here goes. A little about me My name is steve I and am 25 years old. My Parents are both loving and caring I come from a 3 person family meaning I am a only child My...

View more questions Search