Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tirk82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 12:23 PM
    Sold my shares of partnership back to owner at loss? Can I dedect?
    Here's the story.

I invested into an existing business in 2011 in return for a particular percentage of business income. My relationship with the owner/partner went south after only 4 months and for whatever reasons we came to agreement that I sell back my stake to the owner/partner for exactly what I paid for it originally. Partner didn't have the money so we came to a re-payment agreement for the course of 2 years. I only collected about 25% of what ex-partner owes me in 2011.

1. Can I deduct all my portion of business expenses while I was at the business from my tax return?

2. Since I didn't make any money selling back my shares to my ex-partner, and in fact made a loss overall considering my business expenses while I was at the business PLUS the fact that I have only received 25% of what I was owed so for in 2011... DO I OWE TAXES TO UNCLE SAM ON THE SALE OF MY SHARES BACK TO MY PARTNER?

Please note, the business is files as an S corp in my ex-partners name. The partnership agreement was drafted by ourselves, as well as the exit agreement, and the re-payment agreement.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 28, 2012, 03:39 PM
    1) That depends on the partnership agreement. Normally, such expenses are reimbursed by the partnership.

2) No, because your effective receipt was only 25% of the original price. You never recovered ALL of your original investment, and THAT loss can be reflected on Schedule D.

If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I sell my partnership for a loss can I claim it as a loss? [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a llc partnership and we were taxed as an S corp.So every year each shareholder filed an 1120(s)k-1. The business went south and I sold my shares back to the other owners effective Jan 1st 2010. I had to pay to get out because the business was "upside down" and had a lot of debt. The...

Sale of limited partnership shares [ 1 Answers ]

HOW DO I report profit on the sale of my shares in a limited partnership?

I Sold a Car 6 days ago and now the new owner wants their money back [ 9 Answers ]

I sold a 1992 Nissan Maxima for $800 on May 11, 2008. On May 12, I mailed in the post card saying that I'm no longer in possession of the vehicle. My boyfriend showed him the car and explained that we were asking $1200, but we knew that the muffler needed work and the oil needed changing and we...

Tax deducted in US for Shares sold [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am a chartered accountant from India and a resident in India. I held some shares in a company listed on Nasdaq , when I sold the shares the broker deducted some tax from the sale proceeds before remitting it to me in India. I wish to know the Taxation treaty between India and US as I need...

View more questions Search