Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2012, 08:50 AM
    Wordpad to Wordperfect
    I have received a document in Wordpad and don't know how to begin to convert it to Wordperfect. The computer it's on uses XP - if that makes a difference.

I've tried to research the problem but nothing I'm reading (right click once, etc.) has worked.

I'd appreciate the help - it's a legal document and I need to access it.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 24, 2012, 08:53 AM
    XP has wordpad already loaded, so opening it should not be an issue.
    Then simple copy/paste it into wordperfect if needed, but you can freely edit in wordpad format.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2012, 09:02 AM
    If the document is still in an email make sure you save it somewhere on your hard drive. Then open WP first, do a File > Open and make "all file types" is selected, then navigate to the file.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2012, 09:58 AM
    I get an "unsupported format" message. I'm obviously doing something wrong - but what?

I can open it - but it's scrambled/jumbled.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2012, 10:00 AM
    It's possible the file itself is corrupted but that's a long shot.
    If it's not sensitive info you could always email it to me and I could convert it to a format that you could read for sure.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2012, 10:08 AM
    Wow - what a gracious offer and I so appreciate it. Unfortunately, it's a legal document, sent to me as part of my work, and I can't share it.

I SO appreciate the offer, though!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 24, 2012, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Unfortunately, it's a legal document, sent to me as part of my work, and I can't share it.
    Can you copy a small part of it and send it to him? Maybe that would be good enough...
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2012, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Can you copy a small part of it and send it to him? Maybe that would be good enough....

I'm looking into that - I just don't know where the confidential info starts, and I can't take a chance.

The Attorney himself converted it from WP to Wordpad (for some unknown reason) and his secretary can't figure it out, either.

I keep trying various options but so far - nothing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2012, 10:59 AM
    Wordpad, by default, uses the 97-2003 MS Word DOC format. So try making a copy of the file, renaming it with a DOC extension, then importing it in WordPerfect as a DOC file.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2012, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Wow - what a gracious offer and I so appreciate it. Unfortunately, it's a legal document, sent to me as part of my work, and I can't share it.

I SO appreciate the offer, though!
    Well that explains the WP, hehe. My wife is a lawyer and is just getting set up in a small firm as a partner and it's back to WP after being in a Word environment in the government. I'm installing it this weekend.

What's the file extension?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help with wordperfect [ 0 Answers ]

I can't seem to find button on toolbar to change spacing in header/ footer. I read how to change as rest of letter is single (1) space but header and footer is double. Not much help knowing about the button but not what it should look like or whow to install.

Write of wordpad [ 0 Answers ]

Anyone knows how to enable the (Write tab of Wordpad Option)?

Microsoft office vs corel wordperfect [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not even sure if I'm asking in the correct category, I apologize in advance. My daughter is doing a project which she started at school and saved the work on her usb drive, she plugged it in at home but her work won't open. She says that they use Wordperfect 12 presentations at school, we have...

WordPerfect Office 12 and WinXP X64 [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get them to communicate. Any answers?? My system is an Intel Desktop Board and have tried everything to get it to run.

View more questions Search