Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LearnerBug Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Understanding Per Diem
    Hello All,

I am staying in Houston, Texas and now am posted on a project in Plano, Texas. My employer have allowed me to claim the per diem expenses for lodging and dining.So from IRS point of view if I claimed the maximum per diem amount (which is $153 for plano as per Pub 1542) do I have to keep all my bills and receipts? Is there by any way that the IRS will query me even though my per diem expense claim is in line with amount mentioned in Pub 1542?

Also, does my employer have to show that per diem amount on my W2?

Appreciate if you can advice me on above.

Thanks
    LB
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 05:20 PM
    LB:

If you claim per diem, then you do NOT have to retain the receipts. That's the entire idea behind per diem.

Does your employer have to show the per diem as taxable wages on your W-2? Most likely yes, because using per diem is a non-accountable plan, which is taxable.
    LearnerBug Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Thanks for quick reply.

I am also trying to find if there is any limit on up to how many days in a year I can take per diem OR Is there any limit on the total amount of per diem one can get in a year?

The reason I am asking this is if I have to work on a project away from my taxable home address for the entire year then can I get per diem for that entire year.

Thanks in advance.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 12:32 AM
    As long as you are away from your tax home, you can collect per diem.

The IRS may take the position that you have changed tax homes, but not if you left your family there.
    dparker77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2013, 06:35 PM
    The company is telling us that we can only collect Per Diem for a max of one year, is this correct? I have heard different haven't been able to find confirmation.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 2, 2013, 07:11 PM
    You can collect per diem for more than a year, but once the year passes, the per diem becomes taxable income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is per diem taxable? [ 18 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me if per diem is taxable? My brother took a job this past year and half his salary is per diem, as he travels daily. He receives a monthly expense allotment for which he submits receipts. His per diem is for meals and accommodations only. Of course, he has asked me to...

Per Diem and more headaches [ 5 Answers ]

Okay... here we go. PROBLEM #1 My husband works out of state and is paid per diem, I think anywhere around $60-$80 a day and is not required to keep receipts or anything like that. On his W-2 for this company, they list one amount in the normal box 1 for the wages and such but in box 14 they...

Per Diem [ 1 Answers ]

As an employer, we pay per diem. I know I do not report it on their 1099's, but where would I claim it on our company tax return?

Per Diem for Contractor [ 1 Answers ]

I am employed by a VA based staffing company and at present I am working as a contractor at CA. I hold H1B visa and my legal status in the U.S. is non resident alien. Due to nature of my job, I am required to relocate at least twice a year. My question is that if I am working on an assignment which...

Per Diem and W-2's [ 1 Answers ]

I had been advised in the past to include per diem to my drivers on their W-2's. Can anyone tell me which line item the per diem amount goes on the W-2? Do I have to list this amount as Per Diem paid on the W-2 also? I am assuming so but just not sure where exactly to put the amount paid to the...

View more questions Search