Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nigam2012 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2012, 02:01 PM
    Clarification needed on "First Year Choice"
    Pub 519 Page 9:

What is the purpose of first year choice? I mean how would it help a taxpayer?

Also in the example if Juan DaSilva is considered resident from Nov 1, 2010 then will he be taxed on worldwide income he earned **before** Nov 1, 2010 or only on worldwide income he earned **after** Nov 1, 2010? Can you please clarify ?

Thanks,

Feb 23, 2012, 08:01 PM
    Can someone please clarify? AtlantaTaxExpert / MuktaA?
    Thanks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2012, 10:02 PM
    If anyone files resident return, he/she must report worldwide income for the full year.

Feb 23, 2012, 11:53 PM
    Mukta, I disagree with that blanket statement. If Juan follows instructions under "First Year Choice" on page 9 of Pub 519 then:

1. He is a dual status alien.
    2. Non resident before Nov 1 , 2011 (files 1040 NR/EZ) and resident after Nov 1, 2011 (files 1040).
    3. He will report any income as per the rules under "Income subject to tax" on page 34 of Pub 519. I am quoting form there:

"For the part of the year you are a resident alien, you are taxed on income from all sources. Income from sources outside the United States is taxable if you receive it while you are a resident alien. The income is taxable even if you earned it while you were a nonresident alien or if you became a nonresident alien after receiving it and before the end of the year."

So I agree, he will have to report any worldwide income he **receives** after Nov 1 , 2011. This includes worldwide income he **receives** after Nov 1, 2011 but **earned** before Nov 1, 2011.

But this **excludes** any worldwide income he earned and received before Nov 1, 2011.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2012, 12:33 AM
    First year choice has two options:
    1. Nonmarried person can choose to file dual status tax return.
    2. Married person can choose to file dual status tax return or choose to file joint return as residents.
    What you are talking is dual status return, while what I said is for resident return.

Feb 24, 2012, 01:08 AM
    Regarding your point #2:

A married person (who is otherwise a dual status alien) can chose to be treated as a resident for the entire year only if he/she is married and he/she became a US citizen or got a Green Card.

And yes, I was specifically interested in how Juan's worldwide income will be treated in the example given. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

What is advantage of "first year choice" for dual-status resident(single NOT married) [ 1 Answers ]

Consider the following: 1. Person was a USA dual status resident as of end of Dec 30, 2008 (resident alien for just 1 day, Dec 31, 2008 per Substantial Presence Test) 2. As of today (Feb 20, 2009) this SINGLE person (still in the US) is eligible to "make first year choice" since he/she meets the...

Trying to understand "First Year Choice" [ 1 Answers ]

Me : - On H1 since Aug-2007. Been in US since Aug-2007. Pass the SPT for 2008. Got married in 2008. Wife joined me in Apr 2008 on H4. So we both pass the SPT for 2008. On our return, we are filing as 'married filing jointly'. And I am attaching a W-7 to get an ITIN for my wife. Is 'First year...

Clarification on "Criteria for Dual-Status Filing" Sticky [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The "Criteria for Dual-Status Filing" sticky says that My situation is that I worked under a TN-1 visa from January to end of August, 2007 (so 240 days or so, meeting the SPT), then went back home for the remainder of the year. So I thought that I should be dual-status per Pub. 519 -...

Is the "First Year Choice" applicalbe for children? [ 1 Answers ]

Experts, My case is I came to USA last August. My wife and kid came on Dec 2007. I can file tax as resident alien with "first year choice". But I can't add my kid as dependent because she is not resident alien. Can I add my kid or not? BTW, is the stimulus plan applicable for non-resident...

View more questions Search