Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrclean Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 07:05 AM
    In hot water
    Has anyone ever had the cold feed to a 40 gal. hot water heater that feels hot to touch for about 5 ft. above the top of heater? This heater stay unused all day. Thanks
    Rocky Motto Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2007, 07:12 AM
    I have never experienced it, but if it is idle all day the cold water pipe is just acting as a heat sink and pulling the heat out of the water heater. They make an item that should be plumbed into that line that does not let the heat travel back up that pipe. I am sorry I can't remember the exact name, but any plumber or plumbing supply would know what it is. I assume the cold input is copper. It doesn't matter it can happen with poly also, but copper as you know is a great conductor. It is a waste of enegey to use it the way it is.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 18, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Rocky nailed it. This is called convection and can be found in most water heaters, especially if they have set for a period without a draw being made. We have had a problem with heat trap nipples in a high mineral area clogging up. I agree there's some engery loss but how much is debatable.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Replacing Hot Water Radiators with Hot Water Baseboards [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hot water heating system with radiators, and I want to replace the radiators in the upstairs bathroom and bedrooms (2) with hot water baseboards. Can radiators and baseboards be mixed and if so, how do I determine the size of the baseboards?

No hot water - hot water heater and cold working [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! Its freezing out and we have NO hot water! Cold is working fine everywhere - but nothing comes out of the hot side anywhere. The hot water heater appears to be working? Did the hot water pipes freeze? Why the hot side and not the cold? Please help.

Hot water run in bathroom cuts out hot water in kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, Currently in our bungalow, if we run hot water in the bath & also run hot water in the kitchen tap, after a few seconds water from the kitchen taps stops. If we turn off the bath tap, water still refuses to flow from the kitchen tap. My wife knows a little about the history of the...

View more questions Search