Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janicemf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
    I can not pay my dead husbands mortgage
    My husband just died. I do not make enough money to pay the mortgage.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
    If there was no insurance you will have to sell the property - is that your question?

I'm very sorry for your loss - I was also widowed. It's difficult enough trying to cope with your grief and then financial issues have to be dealt with -
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 06:35 PM
    I am very sorry for your loss. You have the options of applying for a short sale or deed-in-lieu. You are not liable for that debt unless your name was in the note, if it is not, then maybe you can live in the home and let it foreclosure if you are not able to do the options above, in the meantime you have time to look for another place to live. If you have equity in the home, maybe this is a good time to sell?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 06:41 PM
    I have to ask, because I know that often, grief surpasses everything.

Do you have insurance on the mortgage? I'm not sure where you live, but where I live, most banks offer insurance. The insurance is such that if one spouse passes, the mortgage is paid in full. You have the choice to accept (for a fee) the insurance, or decline.

Are you sure that you didn't have this coverage? I would talk to the bank before making any major decisions.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Yes, did you check with the loan company and/or check the sale documents of the home and see if there was any insurance to cover this. It is a very common item.

Next did he not have other life insurance to cover this perhaps.

If not, and you can't figure out a way, you will have to sell the house

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my dead husbands family claim my daughter? [ 1 Answers ]

I left my daughter with my husband in March 2009. We were haggling with divorce and custody until now. I always stayed in contact with my daughter. My husband passed away on Sunday and his family want to keep my daughter even though I am alive and wanting to claim her. Is that legal?

Adding my name to my husbands mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add my name to a property that my common law husband owns how do I do that

Life insurance on dead husbands mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

My huband passed away a little over a year ago,and I'm not on the deed or mortgage on our home,I believe he had life insurance on said mortgage,is the insurance co. legally bound to disclose this information to me? If not how can I find this info out?

Is it best to pay off a mortgage or get a tax break on the mortgage interest payment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4.75% mortgage rate. Would it be best just to pay off the loan?

Laws on dead beat husbands? [ 2 Answers ]

New Member Join Date: Aug 2007 Posts: 16 Husband don't work,, I have been married to a man for 19yrs he was in the united states navy for 9 yrs he was medcialy discharged on 0 percent, ever since then he was put on meds for depression, add, bipolar, the bottom line is he doesn't work,,...

View more questions Search