Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diarra2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2012, 04:10 AM
    Title never filed on rental property purchased decades ago -- quiet title action?
    My father owns rental property which he is trying to sell. He has owned it for years (decades). He had a buyer and during the transaction learned that his real estate attorney (long since deceased) never filed the deed/title. He no longer has the paperwork from that transaction. Does he need to file a quiet title action to obtain official title of his own property?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2012, 04:14 AM
    So who's name is the deed in? How long has your father owned the property? Did he buy it outright? Does he have any documentation to prove ownership?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 23, 2012, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by diarra2 View Post
    My father ... no longer has the paperwork from that transaction. Does he need to file a quiet title action to obtain official title of his own property?
    As I understand what you are saying, your father does not have any "color of title" (i.e.: the deed). If your jurisdiction's adverse possession statutes allow one to acquire title by adverse possession without color of title, yes, that is probably what he will need to do. He needs to consult with an attorney in his jurisdiction.
    diarra2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2012, 05:53 AM
    OK - thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I alternatively plead an action for quiet title, an action based upon adverse [ 3 Answers ]

How do I plead a cause of action for quiet title based on a boundary dispute and then plead alternatively for title based upon adverse possession and then plead alternatively for prescriptive easement?

Quiet title action [ 2 Answers ]

How long should it take a law firm to complete a quiet title action if no complications come up, on a residential house that was bought at a county tax deed sale? Thanks for your respons. :rolleyes:

Quiet title action [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a mobile home park in 2005. Since we bought it cash the usual requirements for surveys etc. did not apply. We had an old survey which was lost so we proceeded to closing with no objections from our attorney . We bought the park and now 4 years later we applied for a loan on the park. Turns...

Quiet title action [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file a quiet title action in nj

Quiet Title Action [ 2 Answers ]

I have a customer applying for a Reverse Mortgage. He is married, his wife does not live in the homestead and she is not, and never been, on the title. She cannot be found. The property is in the state of Michigan. Can the borrower obtain a Quiet Title Action to clear his wife off the title under...

View more questions Search