Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dungeon1981 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2012, 06:15 AM
    Shihzu and part rat terrier
    I have got a shihzu and part rat terrier from a family who had 10 dogs not sure if she was abused or not but she has gone inside and when we take her outside she fights to go I have been praising her a lot she is very scared of all sounds and she is partly blind in one eye she eats kibbles and bits occasionally and I was told she never was given snacks to me I was like you never praised your dog with treats so I have tried many treats and she will not take them she has taken bacon strips when you drop it but she will not take anything from your hands she attaches to my youngest 4 year old and she growls when I go to put my daughter in her bed where they both lay like I am going to hurt my daughter. I have given her love and haven't spanked her for pooping or etc in the house I have just took the poop outside and threw it in the yard to get her sent in the yard so hopefully she is going. What am I doing wrong to train her
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2012, 06:52 AM
    I'd guess she's been abused. She should be eating better quality food than kibbles and bits.

She may not go outside because she's not familiar with going outside. It's strange and frightening to her.

The only time she growls at you is when you put her and your daughter in the same bed? Or am I misreading that?

Good that you haven't spanked her - that teaches her nothing other than to be afraid of you.

Has your Vet examined her and said she is healty? Why is she blind in one eye? How old is she? Is she spayed?

Feb 22, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Not sure why she is blind in one eye she is 1 1/2 to 2 years old yes she growl at me like she is protecting my daughter no I have not got her into my vet yet was waiting to be paid and no I don't think she is spaded I know they have feed her nothing but kibbles I have tried other dogs found on her and she wouldn't eat it at all so I feed her kibbles and bits because I was afraid that she will lose weight. She is scared of wind and loud sounds I have notice I have another shihzu in the house and a kitten declawed and we have a stray cat that is running around out side and lays down everywhere harmless cat that she gets scared of to. She bearly eats the food she has know. She is very protective of my youngest daughter and if you try to remove her from her bed so that you can lay my daughter down she growls at you then goes back up by my daughter I have thought about having my daughter walk her sense she has bonded with her more than anyone and see if she can get her to go outside better. She is also scared of leashes and she grabs her food and runs into a corner.

Feb 23, 2012, 06:51 AM
    I have tried many different kinds of smaller breed foods on her she only eats kibbles and bits she growls when I take her off the bed to put my youngest daughter into bed or when I go into her bed room to shut their TV off and night she has started warming up a little more and going out side and went out with no trouble with my youngest daughter. I am not sure why she is half blinded in the one eye and she is 1 1/2 to 2 years old and no I don't think she is spaded

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My rat terrier is 1-1/2 years old. He pees every where. I punish him but he continues [ 3 Answers ]

My rat terrier is 1-1/2 years old. He pees every where. I punish him but he continues to pee every where. I don't know what to do any more. Somebody please help me out!

My Rat Terrier is having breathing problems [ 10 Answers ]

I have a rat terrier and he is having breathing problems. I have taken him to the vet and they can't find anything wrong with him it is getting worse what can I do for him.

2 yr old rescued rat terrier/mix- goes outside and inside the house- [ 1 Answers ]

I've tried the nature's miracle spray - urine gone--help - I'm honestly ready to give her up - but I love her--

Training Method for Rat Terrier [ 3 Answers ]

Our neighbors are fed up. We have to find a way to control our rat terriers constant barking. He is in a dog run on the side of the house. We live in a busy neighborhood. Kids play in front of the house, he barks. People walk on the sidewalk, he barks. The neighbors are in their backyard, he...

Rat Terrier is sick [ 2 Answers ]

My rat terrier is not well, a yesterday she at some dog food she usually does not eat and now she is pooping blood and seems to be constipated... I need some suggetions since I really can't afford another vet bill... :confused:

View more questions Search