Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Feb 21, 2012, 11:43 PM
    Question about embryonic freezing/ectopic pregnancy...
    I'm wondering... How old is too old to freeze an embryo and it still have the ability to someday be implanted? It's difficult to phrase right... Like, from fertilization of an egg, grown in a test tube, then frozen.
    The reason I'm wondering is because I'm studying about ectopic pregnancy, and I was curious if a 5 or 6 week pregnancy could be removed and frozen until we possibly discovered a way to implant the baby, or grow it in a test tube outside of the mother.

Thanks!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Unfortunately it would not be possible at 5 or 6 weeks as the embryo would already be implanted. In the case of an ectopic pregnancy, implanted in a location other than the uterus.

When embryos are frozen, they may be anywhere from fertilization to several days old.
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Feb 24, 2012, 03:19 AM
    What prevents an enbryo/fetus from being capable of regenerating itself after freezing? Could an embryo from an ectopic pregnancy be frozen, hoping for the possibility that science would someday find a way to resuscitate it?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2012, 03:43 AM
    Define life and we can progress from there.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2012, 04:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leidenschaftlich für Wahr View Post
    What prevents an enbryo/fetus from being capable of regenerating itself after freezing? Could an embryo from an ectopic pregnancy be frozen, hoping for the possibility that science would someday find a way to resuscitate it?
    You wouldn't be able to successfully remove the embryo at this stage as there is an extremely complex process that has already taken place in order for it to become embedded into the mother and receive life sustaining nourishment from the mother. If an embryo does not successfully implant, cells will die off and miscarriage will soon result.

By the time an ectopic pregnancy, or any pregnancy for that matter, is determined, implantation has already occurred.

This is also why other forms of assisted pregnancy occur in the very early days, before implantation has occurred.

At some point in time, who knows... a way may be discovered. Miraculous things in medicine and science take place. We see things today that we wouldn't have even conceived of years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ectopic pregnancy [ 21 Answers ]

Signs, Symptoms of Pregnancy Outside the Uterus , did someone ever experienced ?

Ectopic Pregnancy? [ 6 Answers ]

Last month I missed my period, I had unprotected sex on the 4th October, I know.. Stupid thing to do, & I was due on the 25th October but it didn't come although I experienced period pains. I didn't think anything of it because I usually have irregular periods due to polycistic overies although I...

Is it possible that I could have an ectopic pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

Okay I'm 20yrs. Old. Ive had 2 P.I.D's & one of which I have right now. I have all the symptoms of being pregnant but when I went to the ER my test come up negative. I got treated for my P.I.D, but am still having pregnant symptoms. I am now 2 weeks late on my period & I have NEVER been late...

Ectopic pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

What is an ectopic pregnancy and what are the signs?? :confused:

Ectopic pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

Dear all, I would definitely need your help.I was diagnosed for ectopic pregnancy on march 1st 2007 and so an emergency laparoscopy was done.But thankfully the doctor said there was no damage to both my tubes since the baby had come out of it naturally and it was more like a tubal abortion.hence...

View more questions Search