Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    i12fly7skyhigh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Levy on Bank account in California
    Hello all,

We received notice that the sheriff was to levy our property... "for monies on deposit at Washington Mutual Bank"...

I closed my checking account there... but I have a mortgage payment due them each month. Can they levy my payment to the mortgage company? I would not think that a mortgage payment is monies on deposit. If so what could be done?

Secondly, we do have another bank account that we pay bills out of... it is not with this bank. I assume they could levy this account as well... so what is the best thing to do to avoid the levy and still pay bills... Perhaps money orders... Can you claim hardship? I know with wage garnishments you can.

Finally, my daughter has a savings account at the bank that has not been levied for college... she is 6. Can they levy her account? I am trustee of course... so can they levy because of that... it is her account though.

Thanks again.
    Doug
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Hello no they can't get your mortgage payments.

But yes as soon as they find your other banks, they will get all the money in that bank. If your daughters account is in a trust, and you are just the trustee, no they should not be able to get that money ( but I would check with a lawyer, don't take my word, laws change all the time)

The thing you do is don't have any bank accounts, get your checks, cash them and pay everyone with money orders, and keep your money in a box in the house.

Next most likely they will come after you for a wage garnishment, and finally perhaps a lien on your home.

Just depends on how hard they want to go after you
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by i12fly7skyhigh
    Can you claim hardship?
    Hello Doug:

What the Padre said, with this one addition. Hardship in this case is called bankruptcy.

excon
    i12fly7skyhigh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 12:53 AM
    Well it is a $3900 debt which normally I wouldn't think most would go after... but it is an aggressive law firm... so they will.

I think you can claim hardship with wages... But perhaps I am wrong. I change work so often it will e hard to keep up. I have been on the new job 3 weeks.

?? We are going to open an account in my fiance's name only. She lives here. We plan on paying bills through her account and me just cashing checks and depositing. Is there any way they can levy her account? How about if it is in her name only and we are married? (how would they know we are married anyway really?)?

Don't you typically have to satisfy judgements if you sell or refi your home? Can they force a sale?

The paperwork had lots about personal property. Can they levy furniture and the like (it was a credit card debt-unsecured)?

Ps thanks Chuck, I see you on here lots!
    darntootin Posts: 18, Reputation: 4

Mar 7, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by i12fly7skyhigh
    Well it is a $3900 debt which normally I wouldnt think most would go after...but it is an agressive law firm...so they will.

I think you can claim hardship with wages...But perhaps I am wrong. I change work so often it will e hard to keep up. I have been on the new job 3 weeks.

??? We are going to open an account in my fiance's name only. She lives here. We plan on paying bills through her account and me just cashing checks and depositing. Is there any way they can levy her account? How about if it is in her name only and we are married? (how would they know we are married anyway really?)?Dont you typically have to satisfy judgements if you sell or refi your home? Can they force a sale?

The paperwork had lots about personal property. Can they levy furniture and the like (it was a credit card debt-unsecured)?

Ps thanks Chuck, I see you on here lots!
    Yes... I too seriously want the answer to the above highlighted for California specifically..
    She made me make her an honest woman although I fought her the whole way trying to protect her...

I suspect a real resourcefull cuss of an investigator can link the state or county marriage license info to folks they have in their sights
    mcb66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 10:43 PM
    On wage garnishments you can file a claim of exemption but there is no guarantee that it will stop the garnishment.

If you are married, they can get your wife's bank account since its considered community property. They can also garnish her wages as well.

At the end of the day, you can run but you can't hide. Judgments last 20 years if they renew it. Why not be responsible and just pay the debt? Most companies will settle for less than 50% these days.
    mcb66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 10:43 PM
    On wage garnishments you can file a claim of exemption but there is no guarantee that it will stop the garnishment.

If you are married, they can get your wife's bank account since its considered community property. They can also garnish her wages as well.

At the end of the day, you can run but you can't hide. Judgments last 20 years if they renew it. Why not be responsible and just pay the debt? Most companies will settle for less than 50% these days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Levy on bank account in Texas [ 18 Answers ]

One of my creditors called and informed me that they were going to sue me for the debt I have of 3,700. I don't work and they have informed me that is they sue and they get a default judgement on me that they can put a levy on my bank account of which my husbands income is directly deposited. I...

Bank account levy [ 13 Answers ]

3 days ago I found out that my bank account had been frozen. I contacted the bank and they said there was a levy on my account. I never received any kind of notice stating that this was going to happen. What steps can I take to correct this?

Bank Account Levy [ 5 Answers ]

I Found this post: Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:23 PM The exact thing just happened to me. (except for the just married part) Someone replied that she needed to file a motion to Quash. Could anyone please tell me how to go about this? The debt is for child support arrears out of CO, and we're in...

Levy of Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

A Lawfirm has placed a levy on my bank account because of a Credit Card bill owed by my common law wife. Her name is also on my account. How do I get a release from this levy.

Bank account levy [ 5 Answers ]

We live in Missouri. My husband has had a levy placed upon our bank account from a repo from several years ago. What will happen to the account? This account is seldom used, but if this is what they want to do, then should I start making monthly deposits in it? How much are they entitled to?...

View more questions Search