Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flymanansh Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 10:32 AM
    H1B and F1 file jointly
    Hi there,

I have been working with a H1B visa since 2008 and my wife is a graduate student from China. We are going to file jointly for 2011. Except our w2s, we also received a 1098-T for my wife's tuition and scholarship in 2011. The scholarship actually was not subject to tax withholding because of the China-US tax treaty 20(b). According to the treaty, she can still claim the tax exemption for the scholarship if she is a resident alien. I have two questions here.

1. Because we are residents for tax purpose, can we claim the education credits like life learning credit for the billed tuition on 1098-T?

2. How to report the scholarship and the tuition in 1040? Do we need to fill out form 8833 to show the scholarship is not taxable according to the treaty?

I appreciate any help for this.

Jian
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2012, 01:55 PM
    1) Yes, if you file jointly, you CAN claim the Lifetime Learning Credit.

2) The scholarship money, being non-taxable, does NOT have to be reported unless it is shown on Form 1042-S.

If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there.

Feb 24, 2012, 05:16 PM
    Thank you for the answer. That is really helpful.

My wife just received form 1042-s which only showed the tax exempt for the first $5000 of her income last year. The tax exempt is according to China-US tax treaty 20 (C). We have to report this on Form 1040 and 8833?

Thanks

Jian

Feb 24, 2012, 05:25 PM
    Actually, only the income on w2 is taxable. I was wondering if we just need to report the income on w2 and the billed tuition on 1098-T for tax return.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2012, 06:59 PM
    It seems that part of the scholarship IS taxable, and must be accounted for

TaxAct has a worksheet for this, I am sure TurboTax does as well. You just have to find it.

Feb 25, 2012, 12:49 AM
    For resident alien, the scholarship not used for tuition and required expense is taxable. But according to the china-us tax treaty, all of a F1 student's scholarship or fellowship is not taxable no matter the student's filing status is resident or nonresident. The scholarship is not shown on Form 1042-s. The taxact does have a worksheet for 1098-T, but that is not for a tax-free scholarship case.

Actually no matter we report the non-taxable scholarship (1098-T) and the first non-taxable $5000 income(on 1042-S) or not, there is no difference for the final tax return. I am just wondering if it is legal to just report the income on w2.

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 06:47 AM
    The rules for taxability of scholarship is same for residents and nonresidents. If you are a degree candidate and if the financial aid (includes scholarship and fellowship) is for tuition fee, other fees, books, supplies and equipment, then it is not taxable. For a degree candidate aid for boarding and travel are taxable. If you are not a degree candidate, then all the financial aid is taxable.
    Since your spouse has been filing resident tax return, you can not claim tax treay exemption.

Feb 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
    MukatA

Thanks for your reply. I double checked the tax treaty for Chinese student.

Article 20 (b) grants or awards from a government, scientific, educational or other tax-exempt organization;
    And
    Article 20 (c) income from personal services performed in that Contracting State in an amount not in excess
    Of 5,000 United States dollars or its equivalent in Chinese yuan for any taxable year.

The benefits provided under this Article shall extend only for such period as is reasonably
    Necessary to complete the education or training

In the paragraph 2 of the 04-30-84 protocol:
    "Notwithstanding any provision of the Agreement, the United States may tax its citizens. Except as provided in
    paragraph 2 of Article 8, paragraph 2 of Article 17, and Articles 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24 and 26 of this Agreement, the
    United States may tax its residents (as determined under Article 4)"

So I believe although the taxpayer has become a resident alien, he can still claim the tax benefit of article 20.

I just want to know if the non-taxable scholarship and the $5000 benefit should be reported.

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2012, 05:46 PM
    You can claim the Chinese treaty as lonh as you are on the F-1 or J-1 visa, even if you become a resident for tax purposes. However, if you SWITCH to a work visa like H-1B, then the exemption ENDS in the first FUULL year of the work visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file returns jointly-h1b & h1b(wife) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can I file tax returns jointly (me on h1b Visa and Wife on h1b Visa). My Wife got h1b Visa in Oct 2009. Is it possible or we need to file separately. Thanks

Whether to file single or jointly for H1B (Having Dependents along with me in US) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am on H1B and my dependents on H4(Wife and 1 Daughter). We came to US on 1st Aug 2008. My W2 form has marital status as SINGLE but will be changing now as I have completed 180 days in US. My Queries: 1. Whether I need to file file Taxes Return, as Single or Jointly. 2. My daughter goes...

H1B Visa File Jointly First Time [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am in Non-immigrant H1B visa I came to USA in Feb -2008 my wife joined me later on Aug - 2008. I want to file jointly. So I have following Question. (1) Do I need to get Both of us ITIN or only mine ITIN or Only my Wife ITIN? (2) If any of the above is true from where I can get the...

Can F1 and OPT-H1B couplde file jointly (New Jersey) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US as a student (F1) in 2002 and remain F1 status. I believe that I am considered as resident alien for 2007 tax because I stayed in US for 365 days in 2007. My husband was on OPT Jan-Oct. 2007 and he started his H1B visa on Oct.1 2007. Is my husband considered dual-status...

Married while on OPT and H1B.Should I file jointly with my spouse on H1B ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on working on OPT from April 2007 to Sep 2007 and then on H1B from Oct 2007 -Dec 2007. My spouse has been on H1B for last 7 years so he's considered as resident alien. We filed our taxes jointly in 2005 and 2006. Since I was on OPT my employer did not deduct Social security...

View more questions Search