Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paloflui Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 09:59 PM
    Installing a prehung door with a finished floor
    I have to install a prehung door where the floor is finished and I have to cut down the door as the rough opening is less than the standard height. I don't want to cut much off the door, so how much room do I need to leave at the top?
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Feb 21, 2012, 12:51 AM
    What kind of flooring is it? I assume there is no threshold at the doorway. Regardless, you want to make your cut at the bottom of the door (and the frame if needed).

Is it a prehung hollow core interior door? Look at the other doors in the house and you'll get an idea of the clearance necessary for the new door. If it's a mobile or manufactured home the space under the door can be important when it comes to circulating air and HVAC balance.

Good luck and remember to put some tape (masking or duct) on the door along your intended cut-line (I do it on both sides of the door but it's the bottom of the cut where the blade will chip the door skin).
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 07:02 AM
    The standard distance between the top of the door and the frame is 1/8". If you are installing a pre-hung door you won't be able to cut the top of the door. If you did you would have to route new hinge mortices and patch the old ones. If you are going to do all that, you may as well buy a door and build your own frame. Split jam frames are available for standard wall thicknesses.
    Door frames are not normally nailed to the header inside the wall. There can be as much as 2" between the top of the frame and the header. Remove the existing frame before deciding what the maximum height is.

If you are installing a standard, pre-hung, hollow core door, the bottom rail is about 1 to 1 1/2" wide. If you have to cut off more than that you will have to replace the bottom rail. The bottom rail of a standard 1 3/8" hollow core door will be 1 1/8" thick. Machine a new rail from straight grain pine or fir, 1 to 1 1/2" wide and 1 1/8" thick. Cut to length so that you have a tight fit between styles. Install using glue. Coat the inside of both sides of the skin with glue, coat both sides of the rail with glue. Install inside the door between the skins. Clamp with lots of clamps. You can nail the styles to each end of the rail but it is really not necessary. Most important thing is to bring the skins into contact with the rail for good adhesion. You can use a lot of spring clamps or you put a piece of 1 by material on each side of the door and clamping at the ends and the center.
    For the neatest job, cut the door about 1/4" long, install the new rail and then after the glue has dried, cut off the door to the correct height.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2012, 04:38 PM
    HK petty much nailed it.

If u are asking how much room should be left between the rough opening header and the door jamb header. This can be as little as 1/2''. If the jamb legs have ears above jamb header, they can be removed for a tighter fit.

Also the old bottom rail can be cleaned and reused.Peel off door veneer and scrap old dry glue with a multi scraper. Reinstall as HK described.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I convert a prehung outswing front door to an inswing door? [ 5 Answers ]

We are remodling our house and we needed to replace the front door. We live in Florida and because of building code changes it is hard to find a prehung inswing front door. By mistake we bought a prehung outswing door. We were going to install it as an outswing but we have a rollout storm...

Installing a door into second floor gable end attic space [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all. As I have found this site an invaluable resource in the past I return for more reliable advice. My attached garage has a gable end wall separating the second floor attic space of the home from the attic space of the garage. The access to the homes attic space is through a 18" x 24"...

Stubbing Pex out through finished floor [ 1 Answers ]

so replumbing in pex and need help with connecting to fixtures. I need to go straight through the floor to replace existing pipes so my question is how to do this. Home is on post and pier so big crawl space to work in. should I just use a drop ear and secure it to an added 2x4 in between the...

Installing electrical in semi-finished lower level [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a partially finished house this year, and am gearing up to finish the lower level. Here's my quandary. The electrical is no big deal, everything out here is Romex and plastic boxes - a great change from the people's repulik of chicago where you have to use conduit (thanks to the labor...

Making a prehung door unit [ 3 Answers ]

I'm fixing up a old house and a standard steel entry door unit is too high.I can special order one but I have a 9 lite wooden door slab on hand from Lowe's so thought I might try my hand at making my own prehung.Once I have it made then set in place and install like any other.My rough opening I...

View more questions Search