Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christopher_amatulli Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Feb 17, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Difficult time getting rid of water hammer
    I'm having a major problem with water hammer in our heating pipes. I to open the drain on the lines to flush out the air which I was told would cause this... After doing this for 30 min or so, I noticed less and less air coming through. Eventually it looked like air had stopped, and a test seems to prove that the water hammer is stopped as well. Now comes the issue... After about 1 day, the water hammer comes back in full force... I can understand a week or two this could happen, but I don't see how after 1 day I could get such a level of air in the pipes to cause the banging...

Anyone have any ideas on where I can check to see what is causing this? :confused:
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 07:03 PM
    This is not a plumbing issue but rather an hydronic issue.

Home Improvement: Maintenance: What is Water Hammer?
    [from the site]... Another source of water hammer occurs in steam heating systems. If the system design allows for water to stand or pond within the steam pipes or radiators, then you hear that "bang" when the thermostat calls for heat from the boiler.

This occurs because the accumulated liquid water is cooler than the steam. When the steam passes over condensed water in the line that has not drained back to the boiler correctly, it cools, condenses, and suddenly shrinks to 1/1,700th the volume it filled as steam. That leaves a vacuum directly above the water. The water leaps up to fill the vacuum and crashes into the pipe, Clang! Bang!. water hammer.
    See also Water hammer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And this is probably your best hope Home Heating Systems Newsletter - HeatingHelp.com

Feb 18, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Unfortunately this is not a steam systen... its hot water system. All the instructions o've seen for the hot water system include opening the drain on the end (which I have tried).
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2007, 08:16 PM
    I have very little experience on hot water home heating but a water hammer is still a water hammer. Both the plumbing side and the steam side suggest an expansion tank. I would try that first. Possibly someone else in here could better address this problem.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 19, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Both Doug and I are Southern plumbers without a lot of heating experience but his suggestion of adding a expansion tank as a air chamber, (shock absorber) sounds like a winner to me. Regards, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Hot water systems are normally built with an expansion tank just above the boiler. Have you drained the expansion tank too?

Feb 19, 2007, 12:26 PM
    I've drained the entire system, but I'm not sure if that will drain the expansion tank as well...

I'm considering putting in a shock absorber for each of the zones... but I still have concerns that this much air is making it into the lines...

Anyone have recommendations for where to put the shock absorbers? Any specific distance from the zone valve? Or should they be on the opposite end from the zone valve?
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 05:45 PM
    I am going to have to bow out of this one. If I remember correctly there is a device that purges air out of your system. Is your boiler set too high? Turn it down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Hammer from the Well Pump [ 10 Answers ]

Since installation I have had water hammer when the pump shuts off. The installer "never saw this happen before". The 3/4 hp 8 gpm pump is 140 feet deep, and the well is about 400 feet (horizontal) from the house. The supply line is 1" Kitek. The supply couples into a brass 90, makes a copper...

Water hammer needs to stop [ 1 Answers ]

I have read several entries on this subject but... When lavetory and kitchen hot water faucets turned on, banging plastic pipes. Four year old house, electric water heater, 3/4 pipe to 1/2 feeders (all HC-SOR II, CPVC), pipes are very securly fastened to joists. City water with house pressure set...

Water hammer question [ 4 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet, use the shower, or run the washing machine, there is a loud screaching/moaning noise coming from my prv. I can even feel the vibration in the cold water pipe in my garage. I assume this is water hammer. The guy at Lowe's said I needed an anti-water hammer device so I...

Water Hammer Effect [ 1 Answers ]

Newbiehomeowner New Member Join Date: Oct 2005 Posts: 25 Water Hammer Effect -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a question for you and an update on my backing up toilet problems of a few months ago. When my short cycling well...

Water Hammer [ 1 Answers ]

I have what appears to be water hammer in a 18 yr old home. Water arrestors (the blue oil can) are installed. From what I've read, it seems like the solution is to remove the air from the water lines starting with shutting off the main water valve, then draining the pipes. If this is true, then...

View more questions Search