Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lee12 Posts: 83, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 06:15 AM
    Basement concrete pour
    Planning to have concrete poured into a new section of basement (part of home addition). The area is roughly 16' x 20', concrete will be poured through a basement window which is about 16" x 24". Right now I have about 4" of stone down, planning to put plastic over the stone and then wire mesh elevated to sit at the center of a 4" pour. I've done smaller concrete projects before, but wanted to make sure I was clear on a few things before deciding if this was something I should try to tackle myself.

1) Do I need expansion joint material at the edges of the floor? Walls are block.
    2) Do I need a relief cut anywhere for a floor this size?
    3) How do I go about screeding when dealing with a wall-to-wall pour? When I've done concrete before there were always wooden forms in place so leveling was easy.
    4) If I have the wire mesh elevated to sit in the center of the pour, will I be able to walk on it to do the screeding, etc. Without bending it all up?

A few other things to mention - this will basically be just a storage area so I'm not really concerned with how 'pretty' it turns out. Also not sure how much I need to worry about it being perfectly level and flat, I've never had water issues in this basement.

Might also think about putting in some piping for radon, just so it's there in the future in case I ever have a system added. I may post that as a separate question though.

Thanks in advance for any help

Check out some similar questions!

Pour concrete adjacent to house, how high should new concrete be to house foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I will be pouring concrete for a patio, concrete will be next to house foundation, the house has a metal around the outside wall, what measurement should I have new concrete not to obstruct the function of the metal piece in the outside wall?

Concrete pour in cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

Can concrete, for footings and a slab, be successfully poured, without using additives or other weather control techniques, on any day(s) during this interval? WsId Date TmaxF TminF TmeanF PrcpIn SnowIn CDD HDD GDD 18975 12/1/2009 50 28 39 0.26 N 0 26 0 18975 12/2/2009 52 28 40 0 N ...

Concrete finish after rain, new pour [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for reading. A few days ago I had a color patio poured where a broom finish was applied. The broom finish was consistent until the next day after we had some rain. There was roughly 15 hours after the pour to the time when it rained. It only rained for about 20 minutes our so, a moderate...

Can I Pour Concrete Over Plywood Subfloor [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to put a concrete floor in my living room its on the first floor with only a small crawl space under it. It has a plywood subfloor that I would like to cover with a thin but durable layer of concrete that I can stamp and color.

Concrete Pour [ 2 Answers ]

My mother in law is building a new house and when they poured the foundation they did not have enough concrete to finish so they are coming back in a few days. My concern is first, is this right or should they have pour all in one day and second what guide lines are there in pouring a slab over...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.