Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    venture Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Research the pergo online Venture to be sure; 'Cleaning pergo floors.'

Most on-going commercial cleaning is net 30, a few are net 60. Contractors though do like to stretch it some, yes it means three months. You possibly may have some options though; If you get the contract ask for half in 30 and the balance in 90, mention that over 60% of your cost is labor and that you have to pay that out immediately.

Stringer
    OK, Thanks so much for your input Stringer.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    OK, Thanks so much for your input Stringer.
    Good luck.

Stringer

Aug 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
    Hi Stringer,

I'm trying to look back in the posts where you mentioned the type of carpet extractor you used and I can't seem to find it or was it my imagination?

I did see the one about you mentioning the seminars... where can I look into those?
    Business Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 06:25 PM
    hi Stringer,

I'm trying to look back in the posts where you mentioned the type of carpet extractor you used and I can't seem to find it or was it my imagination?

I did see the one about you mentioning the seminars...where can I look into those?
    Just got back in the house, watering all the plants Venture...

I don't remember where you said that you are located however I suggest that you look for a used medium carpet extractor. Check your local newspapers, COMMERCIAL CLEANING SUPPLIERS, and talk to all your employees (they know more than you think).

I do highly suggest that you build a relationship with a local Cleaning Supply Company, the commercial products work much better than those bought at big box stores and after a while you can build credit and have them bill you (30 days or payment plan). As I said before they usually offer seminars that are vital and you can call them for advice on cleaning problems and many more items. We use three different companies although mainly one and they deliver and in some cases drop ship to you work site.

Ask away...

Stringer

Aug 22, 2012, 07:55 PM
    Hi Stringer,

Initially, I did start to look for used but realized it was pricy and really used. So, since I have the money I'd rather purchase new and not deal with junk. Even if they say it works great, people will price equipment not much lower than a new one of its kind. If the equipment looks like it would leave more dirt than it would pick up, it's not worth it.
    Business Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 08:09 PM
    hi Stringer,

Initially, I did start to look for used but realized it was pricy and really used. So, since I have the money I'd rather purchase new and not deal with junk. Even if they say it works great, people will price equipment not much lower than a new one of its kind. If the equipment looks like it would leave more dirt than it would pick up, it's not worth it.
    Sorry Venture I made a bad assumption like most new businesses I thought that you may be on a shoe string budget and I was trying to help there.

You are so correct about new equipment, we put only new equipment in each new site that we get and lately that has increased to 10 or more per month. Remember that you also get a warranty on new equipment, that helps a lot.

Actually, going back to used equipment for a minute, most of these machines have an 'hours' meter that tells you how many hours it has been used, although that can be altered. And the costs are close on used and new you are correct.

Did you read my post about building a relationship with a Cleaning Supply company? It has benefits.

Stringer

Aug 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
    hi Stringer,

Is the "hourage meter" internal on the machines?
    Yes, I did read the relationship post.
    May I through a name out there for you... I've gotten a few of their products and like them... (powr*(&$*^.flite)... tried a makeshift encryption in case I can't mention it.
    Business Expert

Aug 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
    hi Stringer,

Is the "hourage meter" internal on the machines?
    Yes, I did read the relationship post.
    May I through a name out there for you...I've gotten a few of their products and like them....(powr*(&$*^.flite)....tried a makeshift encryption in case I can't mention it.
    My end of our business includes general knowledge of operations Venture, my business partner likes the operations end and gets off if an 'O' ring fits properly :)

But yes I am familiar with this equipment and it does a pretty good job. We use some of theirs along with others, we have our own repair shop.

Remember I have been doing this for over 35 years (18 with my own company, 7 as a VP of Sales for a national cleaning company) and even though my end is sales, admin, PR, customer service, hiring management personnel, etc you can't help but learn a thing or two about operations. :)

The hour meter's location varies as to where they are located but most are on the block.

Stringer

Aug 28, 2012, 01:20 PM
    Hi Stringer,

More questions:
    I submitted the proposal for the apartment complex and I gave them a weekly rate and told them that monthly was calced x52 and / 12... was that wrong to do that? I read in one of your other posts to always give them a monthly price.

Also, when submitting the proposal should I ask how it should be delivered or should I just deliver it in person even if I'm given a card to email it?

Another... I went to walk through an animal hospital that wanted floors done strip/wax. They also sell pet food and there was city mice/rat poop all over the shelves... it was really gross... how is something like that handled?. I completely overpriced it. I wouldn't want to be inhaling that and wouldn't send someone else in there to inhale it either.

I think the last question: at what sf point should price decrease as the sf increases?
    e.g. 2000sf might be at $50/hr 5000sf maybe $40... 10000sf less
    Are there sf points the decrease the rate?

Thanks
    Business Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
    Hi Venture,

I only have a minute presently, and wanted you to know that I read your post/questions. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Could be tonight or possibly tomorrow.

On the middle of negotiations presently.

Stringer
    Business Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
    Hi Stringer,

More questions:
    I submitted the proposal for the apartment complex and I gave them a weekly rate and told them that monthly was calced x52 and / 12....was that wrong to do that? I read in one of your other posts to always give them a monthly price.

Also, when submitting the proposal should I ask how it should be delivered or should I just deliver it in person even if I'm given a card to email it?

Another.....I went to walk through an animal hospital that wanted floors done strip/wax. They also sell pet food and there was city mice/rat poop all over the shelves....it was really gross....how is something like that handled?......I completely overpriced it. I wouldn't want to be inhaling that and wouldn't send someone else in there to inhale it either.

I think the last question: at what sf point should price decrease as the sf increases?
    e.g. 2000sf might be at $50/hr 5000sf maybe $40......10000sf less
    Are there sf points the decrease the rate?

Thanks
    Residential and construction clean ups are usually given as a total price for the work done. Examples/exceptions; Residential cleaning weekly, paid weekly when completed. Construction clean ups, one time payment when completed unless... it is a 'phased job'. Meaning there might be (say) three phases which in that case paid as each phase is completed.

I always make every attempt to personally deliver every proposal; personal contact, face to face, builds some trust and mutual respect.

As in cleaning surgical sites which we specialize in, you and your cleaners should wear proper PPE in insure health. (not interested in vet jobs Venture... can't pay me enough and they are usually only once or twice per week... need a fire hose! :)).

As to you pricing question... A lot of variables apply; do they pay on time (run a D&B or BBB), is the 2,000 sq ft job totally stacked with a lot of furniture and items that will take you longer, is the 15,000 sq ft job mostly open and sparse, is it close by, how many days per week ( if 5 good, if 1 or 2 not so good.. higher priced, etc).

But in general for a 5 day per week job as an example; 2,000 sq ft could be $0.19 to $0.23/25 sq ft and a 10,000 sq ft $0.17, 30,000 sq ft possibly $0.15 sq ft, etc. BUT remember cover ALL your costs and profit and NEVER bid below that figure.

Your example of hourly (although you can use hourly) is off some. The emphasis is not on charging a much higher rate per hour, but remembering that with a competitive hourly rate you will use/calculate more hours for a larger job and thus translates to more $$. This is not a get rich quick business although it has been very good to me. (I know, you were probably not thinking that is was... :))

Old story; Two out of work 'bums' on a city bench. One says I always went in a the lowest price, the other said 'nawwwww' I was always high in my pricing... both never really got it! Trial and error but learn quickly!

Remember Venture as I said before pricing is always your decision in the end. :)

Stringer

Aug 30, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Hi Stringer,

Thanks that was helpful. Although I don't know what your acronyms stand for.
    There must be a formula out there re sqft price increases and sqft price decreases... yes, it's my degree in economics speaking as well as the software developer in me.
    Goodness, I have a whole book of questions I could ask you but don't want to bore you to death.

Thanks again.
    Business Expert

Aug 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
    Not boring me at all Venture, this is why I am here, ask away, if I can help, I will.

"PPE"; Proper Protective Equipment

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How cleaning company find cleaning contracts? [ 12 Answers ]

How can I get cleaning contracts?

Company Introduction Letter (B2B) for a HR services outsourcing company [ 10 Answers ]

How can I make a good company Introduction letter (B2B), for a HR outsourcing company? Please help me out with any free samples.

During July, Neptune Company had actual sales of $144,000 compared to budgeted sales [ 1 Answers ]

During July, Neptune Company had actual sales of $144,000 compared to budgeted sales of 3) $156,000. Actual cost of goods sold was $108,000, compared to a budget of $109,200. Monthly Operating expenses, budgeted at $22,400, totaled $20,000. Interest revenue of $2,000 was earned During July but...

Tax law for outsourcing company from Colombia south america [ 1 Answers ]

Good afternoon. I am writing from Colombia and planning to open an outsourcing business in order to serv mortgage companies from NY and NJ - USA. I need to know what is the tax and operations law for this type of businessñ also how can I get paid by my clients in the US. I am a legal US...

Finding Sales for new Cleaning company [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I have recently started a commercial cleaning company. We've already done some one time jobs (clean-ups, strip and wax, etc.) and we have also picked up one monthly contract. We have done some cold calls but are still looking for some innovative ideas for advertising our services and...

View more questions Search